Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

SMB in Soft Sand-Help

Last spring I was exploring the Oregon coast and was planning to camp in the sand dunes (Bull Run Sand Camping) https://goo.gl/maps/EaMm5vUZbCn83Ax96

I drove up to the access point and the sand looked pretty deep and soft. It was the middle of the week in March so there was nobody out there to pull me out so I chickened out on that spot. I have not had any experience driving this heavy beast on sand (I spend most of my time in the inland northwest and Canada). Give me dirt and rocks and I know my limits better but sand remains a mystery.

I am approaching 11k lbs fully loaded so this is a far cry from cruising on the beach in Baja in my 4 Runner so I'm gun-shy with the SMB. I have a Quigley 4x4 with 305 70r16 tires (and a rear locker but that won't help much in sand). Is my hesitation unwarranted? Does anyone have experience they can share with getting stuck (or not getting stuck), particularly in soft sand?

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

OK...so there is something wrong with me. I lack a bit of common sense so I am up for almost any adventure. About 6 or 7 years ago I drove my Sportsmobile 4X4 van (leaf springs) through Escalante blow sand towing a small jeeper trailer. The sand is much finer than beach sand and there is no moisture there - unless there is a flash flood but that is another story.

With no particular destination in mind, I followed a very old set of tracks that the cowboys use when dropping off a salt block or filling a tank with water. After 100 yards or so, the troughs were filled with at least a foot of blow sand. It slowed the van down a bit but after another 40+yards the van began to crawl.

Being too lazy to air down, I unhooked the trailer and rotated it 180* by hand. Drove the van to the turnaround where the rancher left the salt blocks. To get back to the trailer, I had to drive off of the track and onto a surface of small rocks and lots more blow sand. Once past the trailer, I backed into the original track, hooked the trailer up and drove out without any problems.

I do carry several different pieces of equipment for a self-rescue. One is a 12,000# winch, my spare (hook winch cable to the spare and then bury the spare), as well as a WARN pully, shovel, plastic leveling blocks - stuff like that. There was also a lot of dead brush, branches and a few stones close by. Got back on the road and continued onto Bolder, UT.

Best to make sure that you have some food and lots of water (easy on the beer...it will dehydrate you) and a way to reinflate your tires if you have to air down and a set of plastic leveling blocks (found in RV stores) before venturing into deep sand. You will find the leveling blocks to be invaluable in sand and mud. The 18" bocks are better than 12". Carry enough of the blocks to lay about 6 feet of them side by side under two of your tires.

You will feel a lot better if there is at least one other full size 4X4 that would be OK with helping out or v/v. And, lastly, do not drive below the high-tide water mark. It is heart breaking to see a vehicle that was driven on the sand at low tide and becomes mired in sand or mud up to its hubs.

PS: If someone asks you to wench them out, take a few photos, tell them what you will be doing to drag their rig back to terra firma and have them attach your hook to their vehicle.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
PS: If someone asks you to wench them out, take a few photos, tell them what you will be doing to drag their rig back to terra firma and have them attach your hook to their vehicle.
Very fair point!
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #4

Garage
CDACamper I have the same issue & concerns.
Never had a problem till I hit one particular beach and sunk to my axles within 300yds. I initially walked a good section just to get the feel, aired down to 25psi on my tires (35x12.5's). and had watched several pick-ups and jeeps depart on the same path.
Like you, I'm now more leery of beach's simply because of the Van's weight (11,800lbs loaded).
Really isn't any full proof method to avoid a reoccurrence other than (as already mentioned by SierraHawk) being prepared.
Unless you figure out how to dramatically increase the surface area of your tires or the surface area of what the tires are traveling on, it will always be somewhat of a gamble. Something like 2x8" boards 6-8ft long - 4 minimum would come in handy (yeh, I don't pack that either - takes up too much space). Traction boards help, but its a slow tedious process in soft sand since your momentum is limited to short distances before having to reposition, and you're never really sure when the sand will be compact enough to support your weight.
Making sure someone is either traveling with you (or at least nearby) is sound advise.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and it sounds like we are on the same page, twoentrix. I carry a kinetic recovery rope (1.25"), (2) traction boards, a short handle shovel and have a bumper winch with winch recovery equipment like snatch block, 2 jacks, tire chains, winch rope extension, etc. but the sand makes my spidey senses tingle given the weight. Your story is confirming my concerns.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:01 AM   #6

Your missing one more tool to help you with the sand
Attached Thumbnails
9d90994fc7d1158a8c6c29e67e81af97--commercial-van-van-camping.jpg  
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:05 AM   #7

Before I worry about any of that other recovery stuff I go for on board air. It has other benefits such as cleanup and running air tools if ever needed but first and foremost I make sure I've got a way to air up my own tires remotely and I air down. Way down.

If you don't have experience with this you'd be amazed at how it smooths out washboard or other rough roads as well as much better traction. It's been a lifesaver and a relationship saver in our vans, trucks and Jeeps for many years.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #8

If you drop your air pressure, and you'll be fine. I run 15 PSI front / 8 psi rear (since mines a dually) when I'm in sand. 305 tires would probably be pretty good at 12 psi.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

Garage
Here is a video from this year's overland adventure in the mohave. You can't see how steep the grade is but I went up it aired down to 20psi. A lot of the rigs got stuck, including me, after it became a torn up rut from 10 rigs going up it. I managed through 4 miles of soft sand at 20psi. https://youtu.be/q5Vyyk4C2kY
Old 12-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #10

Tire pressure management is a good skill to have. Not to say I don't back away from some situations every now and then, but I have been able to get out of / through all sandy situations I've ventured into under my own power without traction boards (I have a thing against traction boards but thats for a rant over a beer or two sometime later).

When I'm traveling I'm loaded to ~ 11,500 lbs. I have a clutch type LSD in the rear and Trac-Lok up front.

A few situations below:

First picture is a section at the south end of BLA in Baja. Looking for a possible camp site and buried it in the sand (was probably around 40PSI at this time). I think I lowered to ~25-30 PSI and it popped right out and I was on my way.

Second picture is at Bahia Los Frailes (Baja again). It was maybe 100-150 yards of very soft sand. I thought this one would finally require a tow but I dropped to ~20-25 PSI and got in to camp and back out.

Third pic is a remote beach north of BLA (do you see a trend?). A long drive down the beach to our camp spot. The two Toyotas floated right across the sand. I plowed my way down. Probably around 30 PSI-ish.

Do watch your transmission temps in sand. It can work really hard to get you where you want to go. I can think of twice in sand that I've stopped and let it idle for a while to bring transmission temps down before proceeding. For me, my "do not proceed" number is 230 degrees.

At the risk of getting off topic and for those cueing up to advise me not to drive down beaches because of turtle nesting please know that over the last year I've gained an appreciation for that. I've come across a few turtle nest situations and know better how to keep an eye out for them now. Not to say I won't still drive on beaches but I will do so with more caution and be on the lookout for signs of turtle nesting. These little guys are just too cute to not want to give them a fighting chance!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210329_195635424.jpg   PXL_20210315_163135768.jpg   IMG_20211026_175222_604.jpg   PXL_20221024_231650353 (1).jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote