Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #11

Garage
I reiterate the point, “Call around.”
For example, Progressive has two divisions; one for vehicles, one for RVs. They don’t talk to each other. SMB is one of the manufacturers that Progressive will insure as an RV. My longtime insurance company, Liberty Mutual, wouldn’t touch it even through they previously insured our teardrop trailer. A LM broker found a company ... turned out to be Progressive. Same with Good Sam, Progressive, also. There are other options out there, too.
Follow some of the older threads on the Forum where there is a lot of useful information. Good luck.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #12
Orv

Garage
Mine is registered in CA as type "VC," which I gather stands for Van Camper. That's not necessarily what insurance companies go by, though. I couldn't get anyone here to insure it as an RV because it doesn't have a permanently installed toilet.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

In Arizona the DMV registered my PW Traverse as an RV. When I registered an (almost identical) GTRV in Colorado the DMV registered it as a van because it didn't have a bathroom.
Jim
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #14

I registered mine as an RV in FL. Sportsmobile build. No issues. I have the RV basics but not all in their typical forms.

For insurance, money-wise, RV should be cheaper and it covers more of your personal stuff. Some of the major insurance companies do not sell RV insurance and will put you on standard passenger insurance which means you get less coverage for what your are paying. I think the cost difference comes from the assumption that RVs are driven less, which in my case is true.
ecotyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #15

Washington has done it both ways for registration for my two SMBs...First one came from Az and was passenger vehicle there.....Insurance appears to work much better as an RV relative to valuation....And RV insurance for me was relatively less per valuation...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #16

Allstate has policies specifically for Motorhomes (RVs) in Arizona, perhaps elsewhere as well.
Jim
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #17

Our 2016 Sprinter, converted at SMBW is registered in CA as VC (Van Camper). Insured by AAA as RV/Motor Home.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #18

Some States do not look kindly on vans, particularly the XL versions for insurance because of the liability associated with a 14 passenger version. They were notorious for turning over. So RV cover is usually less expensive. But it varies by state and it also appears that the smaller versions are not as badly tainted.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #19

I'm in MA and, like BrianW, my van is registered as a passenger vehicle but insured as an RV (Progressive). But since I purchase my van from ford and had it converted afterwards, there were no hoops to jump through to get it registered.
canaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #20

Garage
I registered my SMB as an RV in Wisconsin and then as a motorhome in Missouri. In both states it was required to have a certain number of motorhome/RV amenities. I can't remember what they were or how many.

Check with your state's DMV website.