Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #21
Orv

Garage
If the van started life as a cargo van with a commercial VIN, you may also have to prove to the insurance company that you're not using it for a business. They may want to inspect it to make sure it doesn't say 'JOE'S PLUMBING' on the side.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #22

Garage
I moved to Massachusetts from New Hampshire in November 2019. I registered my SMB as a van and applied and was issued a camper vanity plate. In Massachusetts a camper plate can only be issued to a motorhome not to a van, so when I applied to renew my registration in November I received notice that my van was not allowed to issued a camper plate. After a personal visit to the local RMV, where my renewal was still denied, I was directed to apply via mail to the RMV in Boston to have my title amended and have my van reclassified as a motorhome. Finally, 10 weeks after I submitted my initial renewal application, I got a letter saying my registration has been approved. So be persistent!
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #23

Garage
I have a SMB which I registered in Massachusetts in November 2019. I applied for a camper vanity plate. My insurance company said it didn't matter whether I had a camper plate or a regular passenger plate, their coverage cost was the same.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #24

I live in California. I purchased my Quigley E350 van in Texas. I converted it to a motorhome.
I registered it in California as a motorhome (MH). I got stated value motorhome insurance from Progressive considerably less than I had previously paid for van insurance with no stated value.
1pharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #25

Purchased my SMB in 2010 used in California. Had to register it in CA as a passenger van as it was by the original owner. Was told I could appeal but didn't as I was moving to Colorado. Tag price was 500ish dollars for first year. Was insured as a van then with State Farm as State Farm stated it was licensed as a Van and had no permanent toilet. Moved to Colorado.

Once in Colorado tried to rego as an RV. CO stated since it was a van in CA it must be a van in Colorado. Of course I could appeal but was told good luck with no permanent toilet. Riva sticker? didn't care. Tag price was 110$. Insured with Liberty Mutual as a van and worth only a 2 wheel drive passenger van that Ford manufactured. Was told no RV possibility as it didn't have a permanently mounted toilet, no propane, etc, etc, end of discussion.

After a few years Liberty Mutual had doubled the rates (still spotless driving/claims record) shopped several front range insurance companies all of which flat said no if it's not the 2 wheel drive van that left the factory and defiantly not as an RV. Called Progressive RV division on a recomendation, at this point I'm with Progressive with all the other cars in the family (see price gouging above), they claimed Progressive didn't recognize Sportsmobile as an RV builder, the van doesn't have a permanently mounted toilet and that I'm clearly trying to pull something on them trying to make a panel van an RV. Then I called the Progressive regular division to try to insure as the basic van everyone thinks it is. That conversation stopped immediately when I stupidly said it was 4x4 and was told Progressive will never insure a modified suspension vehicle. THEN, I went on Progressive RV website and filled out the forms which had an option for SPROTSMOBILE AND 4X4. So that is where I've been stuck for the last few years. Registered in Colorado as a regular van and insured with Progressive as an RV but with a value of a fraction of what it would be worth on the #Vanlife market.

Not going to lie, I've been jealous of those folks that post how they have a 80k dollar stated value policy, as a 4x4 RV, and that it's cheaper per year than their car policy. I just haven't been able to find the person/company that would wright me that policy.

If anyone has a solid recommendation I would appreciate it. By solid recommendation I mean a person who wrote the policy not just the name of a national company.

Apologies for the rant
- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #26
Orv

Garage
Yeah, I couldn't get anyone in CA to insure mine as an RV because of not having a toilet, and most other insurers didn't want to touch it -- even for liability! -- either because it had a commercial VIN or because it had a bed. (Apparently vehicles you sleep in are a liability risk.) I finally got a liability-only policy from AAA. Due to the age and value of the vehicle I decided I could just self-insure for everything else.

I'm not sure if I just didn't find the right people to talk to to get an RV policy, or if there are a lot of people out there with Sportsmobiles and RV policies that will be rescinded for fraud if they ever try to claim something.

BTW this is a legit Sportsmobile Texas build with a RVIA plaque and all the original documentation. Didn't matter.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #27

2005 ford SMB registered in Oregon shows va $122 for two years. Insured for $53000 thru progressive with cash value as insured. $756.76. 500k on the liability's. Never had any questions asked just pay the money?
KJPCLP is offline   Reply With Quote