Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

SMB insurance and registration

When registering your SMB do they register and isure them as a recreational vehicle (RV) or just as a van?

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

Garage
Here in CT, I was able to persuade the DMV to register me as a "passenger" vehicle rather than a "motor home". But it was a discussion, rather than anything that was cast in concrete :-)
danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

If it an actual SMB it is registered as an RV. Homebuild you have to jump through some hoops. Depends on the state and insurance company.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

I ask because on my Chinook it is an RV and insurance is far cheaper than insuring a passenger vehicle. Im considering buying a 2012 Quigley with 25,000 original miles and building it out.

I hear all kinds of rumors about what is required to have it classified as an RV. For instance some folks say it has to have a toilet, others say it has to have a shower and stove, ect.....
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

So you are talking strictly insurance?

I just insured a home built RV through State Farm. Agreed upon value. Done the same through Allstate in the past. Call around.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
I ask because on my Chinook it is an RV and insurance is far cheaper than insuring a passenger vehicle. Im considering buying a 2012 Quigley with 25,000 original miles and building it out.

I hear all kinds of rumors about what is required to have it classified as an RV. For instance some folks say it has to have a toilet, others say it has to have a shower and stove, ect.....
Each state is different on what is required for a vehicle to be titled and registered as an RV...water, toilet, 120AC, cooking, HVA, etc.

My van is still registered as a van even though it is a factory SMB with RVIA sticker.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

My SMB is registered as a passenger vehicle and insured as RV. In my state there is a form to complete to change from a van/truck to a passenger vehicle. Must have windows on the sides, seating in back with seatbelts, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

Garage
I'm in Missouri and registered and insured my 1998 SMB as a motorhome.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
RV/INS, RV/Title, Iowa
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I just insured a home built RV through State Farm. Agreed upon value. Done the same through Allstate in the past. Call around.
It clearly depends on what state your in. I currently have State Farm, and have had the "agreed value" discussion with them multiple times and the reply is always the same "State farm does not offer agreed value policy's" Getting adequate insurance for a high value SMB can be difficult, and if registered as a passenger vehicle, any claims settlements will likely be at the blue book value for an empty van and nowhere close to it's true value. I would discuss the difference with your insurance broker before deciding.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote