Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

SMB sizes...

Hey guys,
I have been a forum stalker for a while. I have acquired some questions as I work on the wife to OK my new van. My current moto van has seen many races around tge country and as I ended my racing career, it has become my boat tower, camping machine and "truck."

On the sportsmobile upgraded wheels, how many different wheel designs do you have to choose from? What is the biggest tire you can fit under the SMB 4x4 without any lifts? I would like to eventually put the new van on 35's or 37's since I don't believe SMB will allow/warrantee it. Correct me if I'm wrong!
On the penthouse tops, what size aluminess racks will fit? I would like to put a 65"x132" on top to haul my little 12' alum boat instead of a trailer. Aluminess doesn't list there standard size rack on the website... (It's possible, I missed it!).
Has anyone found a rear bumper/tire carrier that allows the back doors to swing ALL the way open?

Thanks in advance!
Tony

Fishervan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: SMB sizes...

If you use "wheels" in the search feature and click "Topic titles only" you will see many threads on wheel types and sizes. From what I been told by SMB, newer van with RSC (Roll Stability Control) keeps you in the 285 range but I guessing there is away around it. Even a wide 285 will require some kind of lift though. Weight is also factor with rims and tires.
As for racks, Aluminess can build anything you want, probably even something with rollers to help load/unload the boat. My roof rack was built to specific standards for lighting, storage containers, and smaller tubing to keep it lighter.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

Tony, I have the Trojan spare tire carrier on my 2005 SMB. This doesn't prevent the left rear door from opening all the way.

Tom
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

And take a look at ujointoffroad.com; they had some builds with 35s IIRC, and I think they required quite a bit of lift. And probably bigger rotors, etc etc

Rob
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishervan
Has anyone found a rear bumper/tire carrier that allows the back doors to swing ALL the way open?
Ford doors don't swing all the way open anyway. But newer Aluminess has a plate for different bolt patterns that interface with the swing arm, and I'm sure they can make whatever you want- as long as two tire points touch the gate arm you can play with position; the further away from your taillight open, the more it crosses your right hand door... for me, opening the right door without opening both Aluminess gates was more important, but my 34 spare does just fit to allow both the single door and opening both doors as much as possible.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishervan
Ford doors don't swing all the way open anyway.
The do if you release the door check. And on '09+ vans they all open all the way, with just a detent for 90 degrees. I wish my carriers didn't limit my doors to 90. music sounds way better when the doors are all the way open. I would like to see Aluminess offer the Chevy-style carriers for the Fords, because those pivot along the side allowing the doors to open all the way.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the input! I guess I could of been more specific. As one mentioned, I would also prefer the 180 degree swinging doors. Music sounds better, loading is easier, beer is easier to access(most important) and kids climb out faster.
Fishervan is offline   Reply With Quote