Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

SMB title/MSO - another newbite question.

Are built-from-new-van SMBs titled as Ford's or Sportsmobiles?

(I swear I searched!)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Re: SMB title/MSO - another newbite question.

My bill of sale listed it as a Sportsmobile, but DMV called it a Ford because the VIN is the Ford VIN and that is what they used to ID it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

My VIN comes back to an incomplete chassis, same as a cutaway Ford sold with no box for example. Depends on the BMV office and the clerk- where I am now it's titled as a truck, which makes zero difference to anything as far as I can tell.

Anyway, generally it's make: Ford, model: Sportsmobile; that seems to go down easy with most institutions.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Mine is titled as a 2002 Ford E250 van. Since Nevada's registration fees are charged each year based on the original purchase price of the vehicle, I want that price to be as low as possible. Nevada does not depreciate a vehicle when it comes to licensing. My 1994 Suburban still cost over $400 to register when it was worth less than $6,000. I can't imagine what I would be paying for license and registration if I were registering a 2002 Sportsmobile, let alone a 2011 SMB bought straight from SMB.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Interesting. I'm asking because of use tax here (which is a sales tax charged in WA when you buy out of state).

(edit) I see I also created a new word in the title, "newbite"

Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

When I licensed mine in WA state they had sportsmobile in their data base but only the diesel engine. Since mine is gas they couldn't license it as a sportsmobile since it didn't exist in their database as of last year. My title says e350 sportsmobile but they treat it as a regular van on registration. The only difference is since it is over gross vehicle weight they charge a flat RV fee of 75$ On top of regular licensing costs.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

I bought my 2010 E250 from SMB West at Fresno and I registered it in WA state. I paid no additional tax to WA state since the Fresno CA tax rate was 0.01% higher than the WA state county rate (that was just pennies on the dollar). You have to show proof of tax payment (it's on the receipt given to you by SMB on final sale) to the DMV when you register. Compare your county vehicle sales tax rate with the current Fresno CA tax rate to see what delta, if any, you would have to pay.

The Manufacturer's Statement of Origination (MSO) question is a different one all together. SMB West obtains a complete vehicle from Ford, including the title from the manufacturer (i.e., MSO). Ford transfer's the title to SMB West who transfers it to you. It's a complete vehicle. SMB provides an addendum to the title to show any changes they made to the chassis. So, if SMB changed the gross vehicle weight, they must provide the modified weight - and this can effect your annual registration fees. Don't know for sure, but they may have to show a change from 2wd to 4wd too. The camper conversion did nothing but change weight data. The propane system is not even relevant to the chassis data.

One other thing to keep in mind. If you register the vehicle as a recreational vehicle with WA state, you will pay different annual registration fees. The advantage is for insurance purposes and also for the ability to carry open containers of alcohol. I provided a photo copy of the RVIA sticker and the itemized SMB sales reciept to the DMV to show evidence that the vehilce was an RV (it must meet WA state criteria; toilet, water, and sleeping quarters I believe).
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Are built-from-new-van SMBs titled as Ford's or Sportsmobiles?

(I swear I searched!)
Guess I didn't answer the question straight-up: my WA DMV title says Make is Ford and Series/Body is 18E250. The 18 is feet (guessing) since I have a Regular Body (RB).

CA DMV (yes, they sent me a title too! another story altoghter - I'll post it separate if anyone is interested) says Make is Ford and Body/Type is PK whatever that means.

Neither title contains Sportsmobile on it anywhere. They both indicate it is gas and both have the VIN.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
One other thing to keep in mind. If you register the vehicle as a recreational vehicle with WA state, you will pay different annual registration fees. The advantage is for insurance purposes and also for the ability to carry open containers of alcohol. I provided a photo copy of the RVIA sticker and the itemized SMB sales reciept to the DMV to show evidence that the vehilce was an RV (it must meet WA state criteria; toilet, water, and sleeping quarters I believe).
** WA state specific question **

OK..... this is confusing. I already got the cheap RV insurance from State Farm without them seeing anything on title and registration. Full value covered, cost me lower premium than my current E350! I just sent them the SMB build sheet/invoice.

An RV is $111 a year registration or something, a "camper" is $11, a regular van is $36 + weight fee.
(ok a camper is the thing that fits on a pickup truck, not a camper van)

The title says Ford E350 incomplete, but we did fill out the sale amount. I am hoping to ask them to use the Ford E350 value for one-time use tax, which is lower (the law says that they will use the KBB/NADA value if you paid LESS than the "value", and the value is based on the VIN/KBB etc.) So that's probably $3500 if as a SMB, and $500 or so if as an E350. So at that point I probably care less about the anual registration fee.

Not sure where to go from here. Try and title it as a van, or an RV? Sounds like titling as an RV will make it MORE expensive for me.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Garage

Title it whichever way is cheaper. The insurance company won't care - they never see the title or registration. The DOL won't care - they never see the van.

Also if you already paid sales tax in another state, Washington will reduce the tax due by that amount.

As far as open containers, I'm guessing the police will decide whether it's an RV or not when they issue the citation...