Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

SMB v Tiger Adventure Vehicle

I am mostly posting this for others who might be looking at Tigers. I took a close look at the Tigers which are built on a truck body. Great vehicle, but the layout did not work for me. One advantage over the SMB is that in the Malayan you can have an all diesel vehicle, no propane or generator and even run AC off of the battery/inversion system, something you cannot do, I gather, on an SMB. A "full" bathroom is standard. Downside, it costs about $200,000, roughly double an SMB. Tigers are probably typically a little cushier, but do not have as many ways to customize. And, of course, no pop top. But both are great vehicles.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

The Tiger is probably about 4,000 pound heavier than a SMB. Also, I don't think you could run the AC very long on the batteries. 20 amps for an AC at 120 volts is 200 amps at 12V roughly. I think I have 200 AH worth of batteries, so that's only an hour of usage. Kind of the same thing as trying to run an electric heater. It works for a bit, but not much. Even my toaster pulls things down pretty quickly. I usually start and run the engine for a few minutes when I use the toaster.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
The Tiger is probably about 4,000 pound heavier than a SMB. Also, I don't think you could run the AC very long on the batteries. 20 amps for an AC at 120 volts is 200 amps at 12V roughly. I think I have 200 AH worth of batteries, so that's only an hour of usage. Kind of the same thing as trying to run an electric heater. It works for a bit, but not much. Even my toaster pulls things down pretty quickly. I usually start and run the engine for a few minutes when I use the toaster.
Good point about the weight. The Malayan used a household AC unit and apparently it draws less and can go a while as compared to a typical RV AC. The Tiger probably has more living space per RV foot. But a fully loaded SMB can go places a Tiger can only dream about. To me that is the whole point of the SMB, its off road ability. Once you get away from that, other brands get more competitive.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote