Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

SMB Values etc...

Hey all,

I've been looking on here and the SMB website, Craigs, etc for different SMB's of different vintage, condition etc.

I'd like to find one for about $25k. What vintage and condition does that put me in? It seems that it's hard to find any that are older than like 2003. Are older ones rare?

It's hard to find any that are less than $50k. Could a guy possibly find like a '98 with 70k miles for around $25k?

Are there any other places that are good to find used units other than this website, the SMB website, Craigs and other like that?

jwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: SMB Values etc...

If you watch here, Craiglist, and eBay you will see older every week it seems. There are a lot of used Sporties out there right now.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Check Autotrader.com and Cars.com as well.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

I feel like the older they get the more likely the owner is to hold onto it. Not sure why that is, but many people test the water so to speak with a new Sporto, then sell it after living the dream for a year or two. It's just my impression but I feel like the older they are, the less likely they are to be cycled onto the market.

But don't get dismayed, they do come round at all ages.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I agree with Jage. We bought an New SMB and ended up selling it after 2 years. There were some things we didn't like about our first build that may have been perfect for someone. If it was perfect, I would have kept it for many years. Hopefully, our next build will be more suited to us.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
I agree with Jage. We bought an New SMB and ended up selling it after 2 years. There were some things we didn't like about our first build that may have been perfect for someone. If it was perfect, I would have kept it for many years. Hopefully, our next build will be more suited to us.

Ray
Just curious, what would you have changed that would have made you keep it longer?
docd
docd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by docd
Just curious, what would you have changed that would have made you keep it longer?
docd
There are a few things I wanted to change on our SMB. Originally, I wanted to use the rig for everyday surf, work, camping, etc. The EB was just a little too big for many parking lots for an everyday vehicle. When you add the Aluminess Bumpers and Box, your about 24-25 feet long. The ride on the RIg was also very stiff. SMB described the ride on a 4x4 like a truck. I've owned full size to mini trucks since I've started driving, and it did not even compare to any of my past trucks. I wouldn't even care if it rode bad on washboard roads or trails, which would be understandable. However, it did not ride very well on the freeways and streets as well. We were going to opt for Deaver springs costing close to $4,000 but we wanted to make sure it was the correct platform before spending more $$$ on our Rig. Another thing was our floor plan. It was the perfect floor plan for me, my wife and my daughter at the time. However, if we decided to have a 2nd child, then we would need more front facing seats without compromising the living space. So now, my wife and I are thinking of the RB 50 type floorplan.........waiting for Jage's wisecrack Another thing is the stand up height. We would like to have the ability to walk back to the galley without being in camp mode (PH up). There are also other minor thing we can think of, but that is to our preference. The Rig seemed perfect for windsurf555, who purchased our rig, who is an avid windsurfer and travels with friends.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #8

Thanks for the insights. I am putting in an order for a Sprinter, hoping that the issues of ride, noise and size are less of a problem. This really helps me. I will also reconsider for the 100th time the layout.
Docd
docd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

When I designed my van I asked what the most popular floor plan was and was told the 50. They also said the 50 was the most requested re-conversion done in Fresno. I can see how it would be easy to jump into something that isn't right for the future. It was easier for me; a aisle way didn't work...just not enough room for size. But I'm still question picking the EB over an RB. I do a lot of tail dragging but like the fact that my feet don't hang off the end of the PH bed. YMMV

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #10

I wanted one like Herbs and they were no longer available , My Bride of Forty plus years fell in LOVE WITH THE EB-50 !!! So we left the Fresno Facility with my Sweetie chanting HONEY you /we need another 4 X 4 Van . So 140 Grand Later we have her Van , I still love the utility of Herbs and spoke with Allan about a second one being built without the interior for my use .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote