Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 02:03 AM   #21

Re: SMB was stolen last night

I had a claim with State Farm some years ago - it was an accident though (someone rammed me) not a theft. At any rate, it was an "older" vehicle but one that was in really excellent condition and much nicer than a typical one. I had babied it and done lots of maintenance and improvements. State Farm first made a really low offer (it was totaled) and I did some online research and learned you could try to negotiate these things. I contacted State Farm and explained my thoughts, and told them I had all of my records, plus photos and etc., and could I bring them in for them to go over. They said sure but no guarantees.

I got a new loose-leaf notebook, and put all of my maintenance receipts into clear pocket folders, in order. Then I typed up a one-page summary of all that and put it in another clear pocket at the front of those pages. Then I printed off a recent photo of the car (coincidentally on the coast road just north of the GG bridge) and put that in the clear pocket on the front of the notebook. I dropped it off at State Farm and waited. A couple of days later they contacted me and offered twice the amount of their first offer. I would much, MUCH rather have had the car as it was with no accident having ruined it, but at least it was a more fair price, and one I could "sort of" have replaced the car with (except I never did find another one I liked as much... sigh). Still, it was a reasonable amount for them to have paid, vs. the first super low offer.

I still hope you somehow get yours back and it doesn't come to this, but good to be prepared.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 AM   #22
Site Team

So sorry to hear this. I know how violated you must feel. I am about to park my SMB in a public storage area. My greatest fear is having my van stolen or broken into. This makes me even more nervous about it.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #23

Greg, I'm seriously bummed at hearing this news. There have been a couple SMB stolen in the bay area in the last couple years, one in S.F. that was thankfully recovered with new crappy paint and stolen license plates. Hopefully yours will turn up in the near future. If not, if State Farm has yours recorded as a Sport Mobile, you should come out ok. Robb's agent gave me all the info needed to make sure my agent was aware of what I have. Hopefully yours is too. Best of luck..................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
So sorry to hear this. I know how violated you must feel. I am about to park my SMB in a public storage area. My greatest fear is having my van stolen or broken into. This makes me even more nervous about it.
Storage area will be a lot safer than the streets of San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Greg, I'm seriously bummed at hearing this news. There have been a couple SMB stolen in the bay area in the last couple years, one in S.F. that was thankfully recovered with new crappy paint and stolen license plates. Hopefully yours will turn up in the near future. If not, if State Farm has yours recorded as a Sport Mobile, you should come out ok. Robb's agent gave me all the info needed to make sure my agent was aware of what I have. Hopefully yours is too. Best of luck..................
Thanks Jeff. I'm sure it's either south of the border or up north on a pot farm by now. Yep, I was insured with the same agent as Robb so I should be okay. He left to start his own agency recently but I'm confident he insured me properly. It definitely said "Sportsmobile" on my insurance card.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #25

Greg, I'm super sorry to hear it. I've been gone a few days. I was hoping to hear some better news on this by now. Just FYI, I spent a night in Ultralite's driveway and fantasized about his rig for awhile while I was there. It's super nice and still available if your insurance claim works out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #26

Aww, that sucks! Have been watching your solar install.

Thieves should have a hand cut off.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #27

Garage

^^^ lose a hand on the second offence, both hands on the third...give the bastards a damn consequence for hells sake, otherwise, they aint never gonna care. being sent to jail isnt a consequence for these asshats. thats where all their friends are.

man, sofa king lame. really sorry to read this news

if you dont get it back, best of luck with the replacement your eyeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I had a cherry 1991 Honda CRX Si stolen and stripped to the chassis about 5 years ago. Not nearly what you have invested in your SMB, but a unique vehicle none the less.
lame and sorry to hear as well.. a clean crx is rare these days, let alone a Si. it wasnt phoenix yellow was it? you cant even find wrecked ones in salvage yards anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I am not pleased about the leniency toward crime and criminals in our state. We need some of that Texas justice Willie and Toby sing about in "Beer for my horses..."

Hang a few car thieves and the word will get around.
i agree with this 100%, and not just for your state. needs to be nationwide. make a few examples of some worthless thieves and keep with the follow through. enough is enough.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #28

Once you have a van again, you might want to try one of these. Better than any alarm, only a dog inside could improve on this.

http://store.burglarbomb.com/BurglarBom ... B-2000.htm
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

That might keep you from being able to enter the rig long after any would be thief is deterred after that thing empties it's contents in the confines of a van!!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Once you have a van again, you might want to try one of these. Better than any alarm, only a dog inside could improve on this.

http://store.burglarbomb.com/BurglarBom ... B-2000.htm
I wonder if that's even legal in Commiefornia.

Edit: Doesn't look like it. We're limited to 2.5 ounces and for self defense only...

(g) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who uses
tear gas or any tear gas weapon except in self-defense is guilty of a
public offense and is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to
subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months, or two or three years
or in a county jail not to exceed one year or by a fine not to exceed
one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote