Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Question SMB-West build- 2 steps: minimal then full. suggestions?

Sportsmobile WEST build in 2 steps: minimal then full. suggestions?

Hi all

I have an unusual thought / situation

I will approach Sportsmobile WEST with this question, but first wanted to get an accurate list and informed list of what we may like to do.... step one.... with step 2 a few (5?) years down the road likely.

So 99.9% sure we’d go Sportsmobile for a build in a 22’ Transit high roof.
Do not want the pop top. Not at all.

2 adults plus 10 year old child.

The full build we want from Sportsmobile is about $65k.

The new Transit would be about 45k

As we have some uncertainty over the next 5-ish years about big family financial matters.... My better 1/2 (wife) does not want to green light the $110k for the new van at this moment, and the full build.

I do not want to buy a used one, for a variety of reasons. (maintenance, new safety features, etc, etc)

I dont want to do the interior build myself, as we do not have the time, at all.

As we are THREE people, almost no “off the shelf” Class B’s fit our needs for sleeping.

I once saw Jonathan state on a Sportsmobile interview video that they would be willing to build in stages, due to peoples financial situations.

My (crazy?) thought wss to buy a new 22’ High Roof empty, bare, cargo Transit and have Sportsmobile do the very bare minimum:

Perhaps:
flooring $845
extreme weather insulation $800 (for both heat and cold)
extreme sound insulation (price TBD) to kill a lot of road noise
attic fan deluxe = $385
Captain seat $2,352 (they crash test it, and they have to, and I wont cut any corners with safety for our daughter)
an awning window next to our daughter $1,248

maybe outside shade awning 13’ = $1,700

with the plan to have Sportsmobile do the full build in 3-5 years from then.

so basically no cabinets, no toilet, no heat, no water.... so can’t insure as RV.... so about $600/more a year for insurance.

but we’d have the van for some travel and minimalist camping. PortaPotty. We already have an outdoor shower tent for PortaPotty.

No need for a ton of stealth camping.

How would we secure personal belongings in van so they didnt’ fly around in an accident or jamming on the brakes? Duffle bags and tie down points?

How would we secure a cooler?

and water containers?

how would I strap down the PortaPotty? (flying around human waste... ick)

any SAFE & cheap way of occasional heat? other than sleeping bags. :-)

am i crazy?

Thanks for any and all thoughts. Much appreciated.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Can they install L-track in the back so you would have tie down points throughout? Seems like it would be a huge space to have all that length with only 3 seats in it. Otherwise, once you build a bed platform of some kind, you would have space under it to secure stuff. Unless you plan to sleep on the floor of the van for the next 5 years.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Can they install L-track in the back so you would have tie down points throughout? Seems like it would be a huge space to have all that length with only 3 seats in it. Otherwise, once you build a bed platform of some kind, you would have space under it to secure stuff. Unless you plan to sleep on the floor of the van for the next 5 years.
L-track is a good idea.... dont know the cost..... would be good to have tie down points.....

Yeah the plan was to sleep on the floor for the immediate future.

a modest bed platform (with a closed off front edge) is a good idea... for stowing gear, that would then not shoot forward in an accident

does anyone sell a safe kit for a suitable bed platform? not sure i could build one and have it be 100% secure....

has anyone done a DIY bed platform that is 100% safe? and secure. crash wise.

thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
I do not want to buy a used one, for a variety of reasons. (maintenance, new safety features, etc, etc)
Curious, you dont want a used one, but by the time you start building it will be 5yrs old...no telling what "features" they will be offering on new ones at that time. Many of our Vans are considerably older and still provide a lot of enjoyment...granted, the money I'm not paying the bank is being reinvested.

For $45 -$50K you could get a good used one, and just upgrade to the desired seating arrangement needed. That would leave you $65K for all kinds of other stuff??? This way you get immediate enjoyment with the Family.

I would take that approach because I think its important to take into consideration that your child is 10yrs old now, and I believe the next 5 years will be what you want to capitalize on - as they approach mid teens' they're developing many other interests and likely engaged in other activities.

Just my opinion
Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

Hi TwoXentrix

in a used one there is almost never space for a captains chair behind driver.

sitting sideways is not an option.

sitting way at the back is not an option.

new means that we know all maintenance has been done, no accidents, etc.

plus - we want a 22' Transit with EcoBoost... would be almost impossible to find that platform built in already, used.

we dont want a Sprinter, and dont want to buy used.

best regards

john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Curious, you dont want a used one, but by the time you start building it will be 5yrs old...no telling what "features" they will be offering on new ones at that time. Many of our Vans are considerably older and still provide a lot of enjoyment...granted, the money I'm not paying the bank is being reinvested.

For $45 -$50K you could get a good used one, and just upgrade to the desired seating arrangement needed. That would leave you $65K for all kinds of other stuff??? This way you get immediate enjoyment with the Family.

I would take that approach because I think its important to take into consideration that your child is 10yrs old now, and I believe the next 5 years will be what you want to capitalize on - as they approach mid teens' they're developing many other interests and likely engaged in other activities.

Just my opinion
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

So for a very flexible platform bed option - I found Adventure Wagon - Portland Ore.

They mostly make stuff for Sprinters, but starting to do Transit stuff.

The first main thing for the Transit is... "MOAB" bed -- coming soon. $2,950 intro price.

They also make for Sprinters. Plus other Sprinter stuff.

https://adventurewagon.com/collectio...ed-for-transit

Looks fast and flexible for a bed option. Not cheap but looks very well made

and

something completely different - a while back I saw a company that pre- made wooden interiors for Transits (I think it was) and you booked a day, took your Transit to them, and they slid it in and installed in a day or so.

they also did rentals of these vans.

any ideas what company this is? I can't find it.

maybe in Colorado?

thanks.

john
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Would you suggest L track on just the walls?

Or do people ever put it on the floor?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

I have only seen L-Track on the floor. I would assume they can put it anywhere. Then you could bolt whatever interior pieces you have to the L-track for safety.

As for 100% safety, crash wise- what exactly do you mean? I know SMB crash tests their stuff, but I don't know of anything that is 100% safe. Properly secured, most bed platforms will be fine, but it will depend on the crash. An 80 mph roll over will dislodge just about anything.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
I have only seen L-Track on the floor. I would assume they can put it anywhere. Then you could bolt whatever interior pieces you have to the L-track for safety.

As for 100% safety, crash wise- what exactly do you mean? I know SMB crash tests their stuff, but I don't know of anything that is 100% safe. Properly secured, most bed platforms will be fine, but it will depend on the crash. An 80 mph roll over will dislodge just about anything.
good points.

I mean if I was to take a captains chair and bolt it to the floor myself... I dont know what I'm doing and it might be 5% safe. (I would not do it)

a trusted and certified installer such as Sportsmobile I would call 100% safe.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #10

You can find something for your budget that’s totally safe. Keep in mind that even older rigs are usually lightly used because they are 2-3rd vehicles for people. Or you can get an older one with higher miles.