Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #11

Re: Snow load

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Is that a Landcruiser with a camper top you have buried in the snow? If so, it's ironic that you have now bought a 4x4 US camper van. Most folks here would kill for a diesel Landcruiser pick-up with a camper which are plentiful in the EU, while you have imported a US van into the EU!

Despite the so-called 'free market' USA, practically speaking we cannot import any vehicle newer than 25 years, even the diesel model of a car sold with a gas engine in the US. And we are given a very limited choice of vehicles by the major manufacturers. The market is very tightly controlled here. From what I understand you can import anything you want into the EU if you pay the duty, apart from the fact that you have a much wider range of vehicles to choose from.
That is not a pick up landcruiser but a cut and camper rebuilt in the rear.
Could be a Maltec or Tom's fahrzeuge?
Nice one

Mac your picture is way to big...

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #12

yes it is a 80 series Landcruiser cutted and than rebuilt with a camperhouse. It was made from "inovation" The first company made things like this.
The Landcruiser was my best car i ever had but it was getting to small inside for that what i expect to do in future. So i decided to go to a SMB. Hope he will be same relaible as the Toyota was.
@witoke yes it easy for us to import a car but it can get very hard to bring it on the street here! Our law does not accept your emissions and also not any other things that has to be an control.
Like gas tank, 4x4 convertion, bigger tires, bulbs, wheels, suspension, auxilary fuel tank, pop up top.......so we have to change it back, we have to let it check -what is very expensive!- or sometimes have no chance to get it on street.
Specialy Diesel engines need an test here and if you are the first with THIS engine in THIS kind of car you have to pay between 50-70K ! for the testprocedere.......So no way for a privat person.
You see not everything is easy in the old world
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Is that a Landcruiser with a camper top you have buried in the snow? If so, it's ironic that you have now bought a 4x4 US camper van. Most folks here would kill for a diesel Landcruiser pick-up with a camper which are plentiful in the EU, while you have imported a US van into the EU!

Despite the so-called 'free market' USA, practically speaking we cannot import any vehicle newer than 25 years, even the diesel model of a car sold with a gas engine in the US. And we are given a very limited choice of vehicles by the major manufacturers. The market is very tightly controlled here. From what I understand you can import anything you want into the EU if you pay the duty, apart from the fact that you have a much wider range of vehicles to choose from.
That is not a pick up landcruiser but a cut and camper rebuilt in the rear.
Could be a Maltec or Tom's fahrzeuge?
Nice one

Mac your picture is way to big...
must have taken 30 minutes to down load

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Sorry about the picture. I took it from a file rather than putting it in my gallery first. I fixed it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #15

There was a similar thread in the Sportsmobile Yahoo Groups listserve a number of years ago. The interesting - and scary - thing was that the top didn't come down until the door was opened in the morning, relieving the air pressure within the vehicle. The top then came down with a thud. Luckily, the man wasn't standing inside the vehicle, or he could have easily broken his neck. And his partner was not sleeping up top, which also would have been dangerous. (I probably have some details wrong - anyone else remember the thread?)

Bottom line, if you winter camp in your van, some form of corner supports should be mandatory.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #16

I assume we're talking manual top here -- not power top.

-- Geoff
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff

-- Geoff
Yes, the story I referred to was a manual top. And the OP stated theirs was a manual top, as well.

Brent
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff

-- Geoff
Yes, the story I referred to was a manual top. And the OP stated theirs was a manual top, as well.

Brent
Yeah but even the electric top is held up by something that can break. My God what if you were sleeping on top and it cut loose all of a sudden? It only took one night in the snow with no sleep due to worry (for me at least) to never let it happened again.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #19

We keep a window slightly cracked at night when camping. That's why the top was able to slowly come down with the snow load.

If we don't keep a window cracked, the carbon monoxide (or one of the other )alarms go off in the middle of the night.
Rapidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #20

To secure loads in my truck bed I have used something like this. I imagine it would work on a PH top as well: Ratcheting Truck Cargo Bar, adjustable from 40" to 70".

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-cargo-bar.htm

The link is just one I picked at random, you could also probably find them at some Auto Parts stores. (And now I'm thinking I should get one too for my SMB!)
YelapaPapa is offline   Reply With Quote