Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

So Much for Sportsmobile

Unfortunately, my plans to have Sportsmobile North upfit my 2011 Sprinter have fallen by the wayside. Why? Because the planned start date has been postponed each time I have checked in to find out when they could get started. In January, I was told end of May. By February it was beginning of June. By March it was mid-June. By April, it was "check back in June, it should be done during July." Today I checked back and was told it would be done during August.

But the problem is that I need three and four day blocks of time to deliver and pick up the vehicle. My free time is during the summer, from mid-May to mid-August. Otherwise, it is absolutely impossible to make the trip, because my professional commitments cannot be cancelled or postponed for this sort of reason (and it would be foolish to lose a job that provides the funding for the project).

I have no desire to try to get the upfit NEXT summer. Aside from loss of a year and the ticking away of the Sprinter warranty, I have no confidence that a promised May/June 2012 upfit would not become another August, oh, wait, September 2012, snafu.

So now I'm looking for another approved upfitter in the East Coast/Midwest area. They're almost impossible to find. Hindsight tells me it would have been better to purchase a stock Sprinter (e.g., Roadtrek) and have someone rip out what I did not want and put in what I do want. I can't imagine trading the 2011 Sprinter for such a vehicle, so I'm totally stuck.

I thank everyone who responded to my earlier inquiries, and to those whose posts have been helpful to me during the past months. I will check back to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, but I doubt I will have any contributions to make in terms of "my sportsmobile" because I'm not going to have one.

Good luck to all of you.

bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #2

Re: So Much for Sportsmobile

Try Austin,13 hrs from St Louis.
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Were you asking them when they could fit your van in, or had you committed with a deposit?

Could there have been a misunderstanding on your level of commitment?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

Why not have the vehicle shipped?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprinter
Unfortunately, my plans to have Sportsmobile North upfit my 2011 Sprinter have fallen by the wayside. Why? Because the planned start date has been postponed each time I have checked in to find out when they could get started. In January, I was told end of May. By February it was beginning of June. By March it was mid-June. By April, it was "check back in June, it should be done during July." Today I checked back and was told it would be done during August.

But the problem is that I need three and four day blocks of time to deliver and pick up the vehicle. My free time is during the summer, from mid-May to mid-August. Otherwise, it is absolutely impossible to make the trip, because my professional commitments cannot be cancelled or postponed for this sort of reason (and it would be foolish to lose a job that provides the funding for the project).

I have no desire to try to get the upfit NEXT summer. Aside from loss of a year and the ticking away of the Sprinter warranty, I have no confidence that a promised May/June 2012 upfit would not become another August, oh, wait, September 2012, snafu.

cyclevan in new jersey cyclevan.com
So now I'm looking for another approved upfitter in the East Coast/Midwest area. They're almost impossible to find. Hindsight tells me it would have been better to purchase a stock Sprinter (e.g., Roadtrek) and have someone rip out what I did not want and put in what I do want. I can't imagine trading the 2011 Sprinter for such a vehicle, so I'm totally stuck.

I thank everyone who responded to my earlier inquiries, and to those whose posts have been helpful to me during the past months. I will check back to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, but I doubt I will have any contributions to make in terms of "my sportsmobile" because I'm not going to have one.

Good luck to all of you.

cyclevan in new jersey cyclevan.com
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Were you asking them when they could fit your van in, or had you committed with a deposit?

Could there have been a misunderstanding on your level of commitment?

Mike
The date kept getting moved because vans coming out of storage needed minor repairs. No deposit, when I asked about that was told not necessary.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I need to take the vehicle there so that we can go over the details. And I want to pick it up onsite so that I can check things out and have things fixed. The thought of having it shipped back to me and finding problems makes the scheduling issue pale in comparison.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #8

Now we're back in play. We'll see. I'll let you know how things work out.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Shudder...

I would too, recommend Austin. Only because they have more experience with Sprinters. Keep us up on how things go.