Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #1

SoCal E350 SMB Mechanic

Does anyone know of a garage or mechanic in the LA/OC area that is knowledgeable or specializes in Ford SMB vehicles?

dick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #2

What part of the SMB? No one that I have found specialized in ford stuff and SMB stuff but I have found people that will service either one. Typically, you have to go to an RV repair place for any of the RV systems. They are pretty much off the shelf units (propane parts, fridges, water systems, etc). Then you go to a regular ford mechanic for brakes/oil/mechanical.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #3

It's just me my wife and kid, in my extended 350. I removed the 2nd row bench and 4th and 5th. I built a gaucho style bed that covers about 1/3 of the back drivers side. Its tall enough to act as a seat and at store those yellow top tubes from Home depot under, and a porta potty ... AND when I extend the bed out, it fills the whole back and an air mattress fits on it nicely. This is ideal for stealth camping or just when you dont want to put that top up. I do love my top though.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
It's just me my wife and kid, in my extended 350. I removed the 2nd row bench and 4th and 5th. I built a gaucho style bed that covers about 1/3 of the back drivers side. Its tall enough to act as a seat and at store those yellow top tubes from Home depot under, and a porta potty ... AND when I extend the bed out, it fills the whole back and an air mattress fits on it nicely. This is ideal for stealth camping or just when you dont want to put that top up. I do love my top though.

Probably meant to put this in the other thread...
Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Probably meant to put this in the other thread...
Indeed I did... sorry bout that....
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
What part of the SMB? No one that I have found specialized in ford stuff and SMB stuff but I have found people that will service either one. Typically, you have to go to an RV repair place for any of the RV systems. They are pretty much off the shelf units (propane parts, fridges, water systems, etc). Then you go to a regular ford mechanic for brakes/oil/mechanical.
True enough, but I wouldn't trust a dealer to be knowledgeable about 4X4 conversions or to be inclined to work on them. I've been looking for a reliable independent shop in Orange County myself for a while.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #7

Here in San Clemente, auto medic has handled all my 2wd vans. The local ford dealer in San Juan has been pretty good with other smb vans, even 4x4 ones from what I’ve heard. I believe at least one of their service managers owns an smb.

What are you looking for specifically? I’ve had a bunch of places work on my vans for engine related stuff.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

I've noticed that beginning about a year and a half ago a pretty loud low frequency tone occurs at about 60 mph and above when accelerating. Performance isn't affected, but it's something different from original van purchase new and after the SMB conversion in 2016. There's been no change in tires from 2016. Dealer has checked out the transmission and reports that the noise comes from the transfer case. I don't know if that's indeed the fact, the sound is diffuse and hard to locate. Again, no functional problems, but these kinds of indicators tend to foretell future issues and I'd like to get ahead of it with someone who is competent to give a second opinion. I've been going to the dealer in San Juan Capistrano with good service for routine maintenance, but this seems a bit nebulous for them to deal with.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #9

Try full tilt off road in San Clemente. Or agile in San Diego. Both have experience with 4x4 drivetrains.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
SoCal E350 SMB Mechanic

Has the OP checked back in??
This could go on forever......
We should just reference the maps thread for future inquiries. Is there a way to make it a sticky if it’s not, or other ways to make the maps thread more easily found for people trying to find shops.

Custom map (e.g. Google) to show sportsmobile mechanics & shops?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Or for a direct link to the mechanics google maps

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer...-8ty&hl=es_419
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote