Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
...what brand is that shade? Looks perfect...
ctb, I purchased this one:
https://www.amazon.com/EXCELFU-Winds...5437898&sr=8-1

I did end out taking it to a shop near me that does custom interior work (He did all my leather inside the van - seats, Bench, and upper bunk panels) - had him cut a little more out of the mirror openings and also pinched the seems at the two top corners of the windshield to make it a little more tailored (about an inch).
If you use one of the reflective screens that prop up inside the window, put you hand on the interior of the windshield when the suns been shining on it - I burned my fingers once. Do the same with an outside cover and you'll be surprised how much cooler it is in comparison.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

[QUOTE=We tried both scenarios one afternoon - about 2hrs with inside windshield shade & 2hrs with outside shade (BLACK SIDE FACING OUT). [/QUOTE]

I curious why you put the black side out since black absorbs heat while lighter colors reflect it.

[QUOTE] Scalf77 I was logging temps of 140° on the backside of hard panels in 80° outside temps.-greg [QUOTE]

I also wonder what the roof top temps may have been if you had measured without the panels shading the roof. I'm having a hard time visualizing that the panels caused the temp to increase as long as there is a gap under them that allows some air flow. At least thats what I've been hoping. My panels cover about 75% of the roof and I always thought they provided shade, but perhaps they are really heat sinks that soak that heat into the roof. Since I'm headed to the Nevada desert tomorrow with forecast temps of 105F on Sat, I'll do some measurements both under my panels and on the portion of the roof exposed to the sun.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Since I'm headed to the Nevada desert tomorrow with forecast temps of 105F on Sat, I'll do some measurements both under my panels and on the portion of the roof exposed to the sun.
That will be a very helpful comparison since the conditions will be a lot like what I'm dealing with.
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #14

Although the solar panels will get damn hot, if there is an air space between them and the roof, you should receive some benefit, though may not be much. Reason being is you are shading from conductive heat where sun hits the roof directly vs convective heat. Think of it this way: a pot on a smooth glass surface cooking. Move it just a fraction away from direct contact and much of the heat tranamisability is lost.

Better would be a tent of some sort. I purchased two 10x10 Caravan canopy tents a couple years ago at Costco. My 2wd van fits beneath with about 5 inches to spare.

Peter
2000 E150 GTRV
Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #15

Garage
[QUOTE=arctictraveller;298511]I curious why you put the black side out since black absorbs heat while lighter colors reflect it.
[QUOTE]

Answer to that is quite simple; I like the black showing better than the silver side, so I wanted to see how well it worked in comparison. Honestly haven't even tried the silver side out yet, but should do this at some point just for comparison.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Two your van is so awesome! ...we also bought another "beach tent" from REI (lycra type material with four heavy duty elastic rope/tie downs)we plan to use to shade the van (better)...outside shade seems to be the quickest/easiest fix...
Ctb, I like that "lycra type" beach cover idea. The two center poles holding the height look like they are about to go through the fabric, have you had any issues with the extension pole poking a hole through one? Or is that fabric resilient enough to withstand tearing?
Old 07-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #17

Garage
several things to try:
1 - paint the roof white = https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post258709
2 - install panels to shade as much of the roof as possible with an air gap between the panels and the roof = if there's no air moving between the two, the heat from the panels can create higher temps than a white roof in sunlight.
3 - install 3M security + solar window film = https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00016706/
4 - install the windshield cover that Twoxentrix (Felix) posted = https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

we've done the first three and 1+3 were the best...we just bought #4 and expect it to help as much as the others.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Ctb, I like that "lycra type" beach cover idea. The two center poles holding the height look like they are about to go through the fabric, have you had any issues with the extension pole poking a hole through one? Or is that fabric resilient enough to withstand tearing?
Two, the poles are folding, about 8-10 inches per section around 6+ feet extended with rubber ball tips...they are meant to be stretched like that to secure poles/get angle you want...the fabric doesn't dimple either after days of use...I have braced on top of tire (even) to give extra head room for side door clearance...bargain price for a movable awning, breaks down to a bag like a small backpack, maybe 4 pounds total?

Ps $30 dollars for the Ford E-Series cover for the front windshield/BARGAIN! It'll be here in 2 days...thx for the tip/picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3019.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #19

For what’s it’s worth, I had a large solar panel mounted in my roof using the bars for the Thule rack system and never had any issues with heat damage from the panel. I also live in AZ and the van always sat outside in the sun.
I think the tops can handle the heat just fine.
Hope that helps.
Tracey
Old 07-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #20

CTB

Do you have a link to your “beach tent” I like the setup.

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penthouse top, solar panel mounting