Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Solutions for dashboard overload?

I'm wondering what folks have put together for holding all the miscellaneous gadgets that attach to or near the dash. I've got GPS, phone, back up camera display, etc etc. It's getting crowded. Be nice if there was some strip or something I could use as a base for all of it, and as a bonus keep control of the wires.

Whatcha got?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #2

Re: Solutions for dashboard overload?

Since I could never see out the rear windows anyway, I mounted my backup camera where the rearview mirror would go. It is up, out of the way and doesn't interfere with my forward vision.

GPS is mounted on top of the dash, and it enables my phone to be used hands free.

The ScanGauge is on the dash over the upper 12V outlet.
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Nice, but not enough. I don't wanna run wires (two) for my dashboard cam up top. Could use battery-powered stuff up there though, and maybe 12v, although I think I've got some issues with the 12v wiring SMB installed. The backup cam video feed is the issue.

I'm wondering if anyone ever did a sort of super-suction cup mount. I tried one of those in my street vehicle, and it worked until the summer heat got it. And that wasn't even on bumpy roads. But has anyone ever put a sheet of plastic or something up there that suction cups COULD grip? A good suction cup is quite strong, esp. if you add a ring of RTV. I thought of even metal, since that's also drillable. I've got many leftover RAM components I could use to configure stuff.

Or something attached to the doghouse?

Could I use a laptop mount and just stick all kinds of smaller stuff on it?

And BTW, where's a good place to get RAM mounts?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

Do a search for Oldbonesclimber's solution. He did a neat thing with his doghouse console and routed a bunch of stuff there. It was a pretty clean install with the only disadvantage being that he has to undo some stuff to remove the doghouse/console.

Also, It is a pain but I too routed almost everything to my overhead console. Ipad, rear view camera, power points, GPS, radar detector, alarm LED and Mifi. All the wiring hides in the console with accessible fuses there, and none of it is visible from the outside with a dark tint strip across the windshield.

So far, a couple things I have on the tint with those super suction cups are holding. I hate to hear that they have failed for some people. Maybe they stick to tint better than glass? Summer will tell.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Damn, I'm in the same boat. I monitor lots of gauges and I'm looking at the Edge Insight CTS2. I prefer my auto meter gauges over OBD-II port gauges but am running out of room. Plus I can use the CTS2 as a backup camera if I buy the necessary equipment. Still I'm searching to stick that thing in there. Call it geeky.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #6

Photos of your setups would make this thread more useful. Just a thought.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote