Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Re: Soon joining the SMB family - Counsel appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHefner
I love the internet when it works this beautifully. A random collection of enthusiasts willfully sharing their time with complete strangers. So far this is functioning better than most families!

Currently, in SMdB used there is a listing from Tucson for an '02 E350 V10 with 22.5k miles for $38.9k. It has the penthouse and the floor plan but I'm thinking E250 and V8. Also, the price seems about $8k too high to be a really good deal.

4x4 in lieu of lift would be cool but the gas and loss of utility on the highway is not worth it for me. For the few times I'll be in the snow I can toss chains in to keep Highway Patrol happy. times. ;-)

Peace
Thanks for the first few lines this is a great forum with really great people in it.

You can still get a 5.4 in a E350 as well its the base engine. Depending on year V-10s have a five speed trans standard also optioal and worthwhile on the V-8. With all of the stuff inside a V-8 has to work harder it depends on how much that matters to you. I have a V-10 and I think its great but I wanted extra power for towing and I liked how quiet the V-10 was as a bonus. If at all possible you should drive a few different vans to get a feeling of how they are. I have to ask what "loss of utility" are you talking about with the 4x4 statement? I understand the gas mileage but not the other one. Most 4x4 vans drive better then their 2wd counter parts although some do ride harder.

...Jamie

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Good luck finding a rig that suits your needs.

FWIW, two adults, two kids and one or more pets = EB, not RB.

You will need and greatly appreciate the extra space.

R
Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #13

I won't be towing anything nor do I expect to build a really heavy cabinet/equip setup. I sorta presumed that the heavier weight of a 4x would effect how well it handled as speed. What are the actual differences from the 250 to the 350? Just heavier springs and leafs? Also, what is the difference in MPG differences on the hwy (75 mph)?

I thought about the EB but I'm trying to keep it on the down-low from the HOA. I actually showed the BOD a pic of an EB and they said No-go. Even tho the CCRs say just no RVs and they likely don't have jurisdiction. I just try and pick my battles. How to most HOAs respond to the EB? (it would be parked in my driveway which is where other passenger vehicles are allowed)

I also thought the EB would be a bit heavier and MPG would take another 1 to 2 mpg hit. Last, I was concerned about the ass dragging if terrain was to rough (up and down).

There is a 2000 350 EB in Golden Colorado (http://sportsmobileforsale.weebly.com/index.html) that I would jump on if the the 350 EB would work for me. Tho I'd have to full re-do the interior setup.

Thanks again
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:

I thought about the EB but I'm trying to keep it on the down-low from the HOA. I actually showed the BOD a pic of an EB and they said No-go. Even tho the CCRs say just no RVs and they likely don't have jurisdiction. I just try and pick my battles. How to most HOAs respond to the EB? (it would be parked in my driveway which is where other passenger vehicles are allowed)

There is a 2000 350 EB in Golden Colorado (http://sportsmobileforsale.weebly.com/index.html) that I would jump on if the the 350 EB would work for me. Tho I'd have to full re-do the interior setup.

Thanks again

I think that was this one viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9311 and if so it is sold. Looked to be a great van for the price.

As far as the HOA it sounds like you have to get that sorted out before you even think of getting a van, that sounds like a much bigger problem than the E250 vs E350 debate. Maybe a window van would look more apealing to the board. A window van can have an full interior you just make the rear side windows you are not going to look out even darker. Other than the pop top it would look like and other full size window van.

I assume from what you have asked about the 3/4 ton vs 1 ton (250 vs 350) you dont have much experience with vans and trucks, that and the HOA thing. There is almost zero difference in mileage, ride or even weight between the two. They just have stronger parts to carry a heavier load. Converted vans weight adds up really fast so if you get a E250 and you do even a mild camper interior with the things you said and a Penthouse top you will be close to the legal weight limit without the kids, your luggage or any toys.

So a 5.4 E-250 RB will not get much if any better mileage than a E-350 EB also with a 5.4 as long as they are similar years and both have the same transmissions and gear ratios.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
As far as the HOA it sounds like you have to get that sorted out before you even think of getting a van, that sounds like a much bigger problem than the E250 vs E350 debate.
For HOA look into GTRV in Canada, the roofline with a poptop is the same as a stock van.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #16

Quote:
I live under the thumb of Association HOA's. We also have similar language about RV's in our neighborhood. My van is a tad on the large side.

I have made a point of telling people its a Clubwagon passenger van and not an RV. I don't have a sink/stove or groover in my rig. So far so good.

The funny thing about CCR's for me is my neighbor has a Class B based on a Ford E350 dually chassis and he can't park it in his driveway. Gnarvan is every bit as tall and long as his setup but I don't have the extended sides of his class B.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #17

Re: HOA, we have similar rules......No RV's.

Before I purchased mine, I got the ok from the board. I am, however, the President of the HOA (or "King" as I prefer to be addressed.) I didn't have a vote in this discussion but was able to get consensus.

I argued successfully with the following points:
1. The HOA rules/CC&R's were meant to prohibit larger, dedicated RV's. We didn't want our property to be a parking lot for seldom used vehicles. Mine is also a daily driver, so it's not just parked there.
2. There are several EB vans, suburbans, and longbed crewcabs already on our property. Mine is no longer than these (ok....maybe it's a little bit longer).
3. Except for the pop top, my van appears to be just a lifted van from a distance.
4. I mentioned that I could have a tall Sprinter or gigantic 4wd lifted truck that would be bigger and be within HOA regs and that that seemed unfair.
5. I promised to only pop the penthouse for maintenance. I said I wouldn't be camping in my own parking spot.

I have had no complaints since then. I hope you can get by the HOA ......
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #18

Much thanks for all the advice. Especially the first-hand account of dealing w/ the HOA. I've served on a two other BODs for HOAs so I def know how the process works. It appears the exact definition of RV is murky. I'm going to try and use it to my advantage. It then leaves precedence and my ability to build consensus. I will likely go before the BOD (the King), bow down, and carefully argue my case...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #19

One last thought......

With respect to parking I would have gladly parked mine inside the garage if it would have fit, mostly for having it in a warm garage during our cold winters, but I mentioned to the other Board members and neighbors that "I would be happy to keep it in the garage and out of your sight if it would only fit......but it doesn't"
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #20

I found a rig that is close to what I want. The few things it doesn't have:

1. RB 350 and I can probably get by with a 250

2. Not lifted

3. Stock wheels and tires

I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me the major differences between the 350 and 250? Is it just leafs in the back and springs in the front?

If I'm going to lift it a few inches or so, is there an easy way to 'soften the ride' back up? I'm not going to be towing or hanging big bumpers, winches, etc. off it. Approx. cost to make close to a 250?

Approx. cost to have it lifted? Apparently there is shop by my (San Clemente, CA) that does them regularly. $3K? $4K?

Approx. cost for larger but quite basic wheels and tires? $3k?

I'm getting a bit impatient about finding exactly what I want (or if it's even possible) so I'm exploring my current options.

Thanks in advance for the advice and your time.