Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #21

Re: Soon joining the SMB family - Counsel appreciated

Differences between a 250 and a 350may vary with year of manufacture)

- Engine availability 250 can have a 4.6L, 350 cannot

- 350 or 250 HD can have 6.8L or 6.0PSD, 250 not

- Bigger engine have heavier duty steering gear

- 350 has taller, thicker frame

- springs

- 350 has stronger rear axle 5520# vs 6340#

Otherwise, they are very similar. It will be easy to overload a 250 rear axle.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #22

Personally I doubt you could tell the difference in the ride between a E250 and a E350. I keep wondering why you think a 250 would be better? Also to echo Mike about the weight, its one thing when you have just the basics in the van but do not forget about all of your camping gear and your passengers. That stuff adds up fast but they do ride smoother with more weight. Have you driven both? What about engine size and such? Did you decide to go with a cargo or passenger van? There seems to be way more E350 window vans available than E250s. Are you leaning towards an older van or a newer one? There were lots of changes made in 2008. Bigger brakes, Optional Traction Control, RSC for window vans, more body isolation, the newer front grille and fenders. The interior got a new dash and door panels and nicer seats in 2009. Other than that its just little things from year to year They really haven't changed a lot since 1992 when this body came out.

There are so many variables in ride, tires, tire pressure, shocks, springs and things that it is almost impossible to compare.
I think my E350 rides really great but its still stock 2wd except for shocks. My van even has the One Up sring option so it should be more firm. My bet is that a newer E350 would ride and handle better than an older E150 even because the suspension technology is always changing. No van is ever going to be a super soft ride but if you are unhappy with the ride you can try to improve it with shocks and such.

Here is a great forum post about 2wd lift kits you should read if you haven't.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8984

Tires and wheel prices can vary a bunch. You want E rated tires so thats $200 plus each. Rims can start at under $100 each and go up from there.

Good luck on your search...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #23

I appreciate the responses, info, and the link for the lift kits. It is all super helpful.

My thinking with wanting a 250 is based on my limited experience with 1-ton pickups. I just don't want something that drives too harsh. I agree driving them is the best idea and I'll be doing that really soon.

Currently I'm looking at a 2000 and a 2003. Both are 350 V-10.

Thanks again
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #24

Garage

In the more recent years, the E350 GVWR is only about 500 lb more than the E250. E350 does have more trailer capacity especially with the V10. When I was looking for recent model used empty vans, the majority of cargo vans were E250 and passenger vans were E350 extended. On the other hand used Sportsmobiles are mainly E350's since they were ordered from the factory that way.

I agree that if the goal is to stay below $40,000 then a used SMB is the way to go.