Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #31

Hi all,

Just an update. Aluminess reached out to me after seeing this post on the forums. So I'll be talking to them about it further, and it ought to be a good outcome for all.

Thanks for the comments, ideas and interest on this issue.

Jon

JonBertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBertsch View Post
Aluminess reached out to me after seeing this post on the forums. So I'll be talking to them about it further, and it ought to be a good outcome for all
Jon
Not many aftermarket vendors would make the first contact, much less offer to make things right on a product that's several years old and subject to off road abuse. Good on them, but I'm not surprised.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #33

Oh hey... it was mine that dropped off a couple of weeks earlier at the start of our road trip. Mine came off at the gas station which was a good thing rather than while moving.

Took to a local shop and got it repaired and did some rattle can to make it look prettier and then hit the road. 4600 miles later, it's still attached but with an additional ratchet strap for good measure.

Same welder apparently worked on both of these as they have zero weld penetration but look really pretty. The tubes were also cracked on mine and got them fixed but I really don't trust the tubes anymore.

The new version...

History on the van is that it was built by SMB West in the fall of 2008 and as of the rack break, only had 61k miles. Not a lot of rough off road either. I suspect this may not be how all of them were built back in the day and maybe, just maybe it was the same welder. Dunno.

Gonna contact Aluminess again and submit my repair bill. Also wish they would make some extra arms so that people could buy them but they only make enough arms for the new bumpers as complete units. I'd just bet they could sell a hundred or so.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #34

Wow, yes, the break looks very similar. Mine is from SMB West, 2014 and was only around 31,000 miles.

Hoping this is a very small number of folks because it could be a big problem over the next few years otherwise.

Glad you were able to get it fixed. My fix is holding up after another 1000+ miles.

I remember when I was watching some masons building a wall in England years ago. One had just added mortar to the wall, he was about to place a brick and the end of day whistle went. The guy dropped the brick and walked off. I was surprised, it would take a while to fix that the next day and he only had to do another 20 seconds of work to complete the task. But no. Probably the same issue. It's the last weld on Friday afternoon - so sorry for the lame weld, I don't care if it kills someone.

Jon
Old 12-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #35

Just had to dig this thread up to check out you guys' pictures to get some ideas for gusseting. I opened my tire carrier yesterday to get in the back doors, and when I closed it, it seemed much more wobbly than usual. After a quick inspection, I found a crack 90% of the way around the main tube where the 2 shorter tubes that reach to the tire plate attach. There's no way this would have survived even 1 more trip down a dirt road. Since I'll have to take it to a friend to get it welded, I think I'll just go ahead and gusset EVERYTHING, so today's project is cutting out gussets.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #36

Garage
The silver lining of this thread is every time it surfaces I’m motivated to take a few minutes to inspect the structural integrity of mine. Thread serves a proactive purpose in itself, Unfortunately in the wake of the obstacles some of you are experiencing with these swing arms.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Just had to dig this thread up to check out you guys' pictures to get some ideas for gusseting. I opened my tire carrier yesterday to get in the back doors, and when I closed it, it seemed much more wobbly than usual. After a quick inspection, I found a crack 90% of the way around the main tube where the 2 shorter tubes that reach to the tire plate attach. There's no way this would have survived even 1 more trip down a dirt road. Since I'll have to take it to a friend to get it welded, I think I'll just go ahead and gusset EVERYTHING, so today's project is cutting out gussets.

Glad you found that issue before it went South on you. I've been making it a routine to take a look at the carrier every 500 miles or so. Probably a good thing to review it after any heavy off-road trails as well. Seems like a small number of folks are experiencing this so far. Good luck with the repair and strengthening of the plate attachment.

Happy Holidays.

Jon