Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #11

Hi All,

I was directed to R+R Welding in Panguitch, about an hour from Escalante. The guys there added a support post between the tubes that support the spare tire. So the tubes and the post are one unit. They welded the backplate, back on to the tubes and the new support post, so it looks like it's stronger than before. Anyway I am back on the road and the tire is back where it ought to be

I didn't bother calling Aluminess before doing this since there's really nothing they could do to help me out here. I really needed to get it repaired somehow.

Not too bad for $200.

And I am very grateful this did not happen on the freeway, it might cause a world of hurt for someone behind me. I probably wouldn't even notice the spare was gone until I stopped somewhere.

Pics later.

Thanks

Jon

JonBertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #12

Garage
They certainly took care of you!
Old 09-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

After closely inspecting mine for cracks and finding none, I noticed what may be some additional bracing Aluminess has added. My bumper is about 5 years old, so I suspect at some point they became aware of the issue and added the brace. Did yours have this piece of flat plate? Did it break at the outer ends of the tubes, or closer to the swing arm? Never the less, I'll keep a close eye on the welds, and possibly add a cable to hold the spare should it come loose some day.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1369.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #14

Hi arctictraveller

My setup has the support at the main tubing of the gate the same as in the image. The shear happened atr the end of the tubes that come out from the gate. See then images in my post below.

Jon
Old 09-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #15

Here's an image of the sheared tubes:

and here is what they did to send me on the road:

There's now a connecting piece between the two tubes and the new piece plus the tubes are now supporting the spare tire.

Jon
Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

Garage
^^^ nice looking repair. Design and execution.

These stories are why I designed my spare to rest on the bumper instead of all the weight being carried by the carrier. Still check it for cracks every outing though.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #17

[QUOTE=JonBertsch;282598]Here's an image of the sheared tubes:QUOTE]

Now that I've seen your photo, I realize I have exactly the same design. Fortunately, I don't have any cracks so far, but until I fabricate a pad for the tire to rest on, I ran a cable through the rim and secured it around one of the tubes, so if it does break, at least the tire won't fall off. The fact that I've done thousands of miles on rough washboard roads with no failure gives me some hope it will hold up until I get around to fixing it right. Thanks for the photo.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #18

I am going to do the same when I ng4t home. Just in case although I don't expect this one to fail anytime soon.

Jon
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #19

Looking at your welds......you clearly had a weld failure....not enough penetration....as opposed to fatigue cracks in the tubing.

That's disappointing....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Looking at your welds......you clearly had a weld failure....not enough penetration....as opposed to fatigue cracks in the tubing.

That's disappointing....
I was going to say the same thing. I would send those photos to Aluminess. Even if they don't make it right with you, it will let the shop foreman know he needs to go smack the welders around. (And the QC dept. too, if they have one.)
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote