Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

Re: sportsmobile customer satisfaction

Excuse me Sir, but could you step aside, there are customers waiting in line behind you

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Nick was our salesman. We worked with him for 6-7 months as we moved from casual inquiries to picking up our van. While there were some bumps along the road and he's a bit taciturn for a salesman, he also gave us valuable and insightful advice along our path. He was always available and responsive to our questions. Sometimes we didn't like the answer but we never doubted his commitment to our best interests. The bumps related to our appetite vs. reality so I can't comment on your specific situation but I agree you should talk with Alan. You may find an acceptable outcome for all.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Wow, that's unacceptable. I can understand what is sort of a tire "corkage" fee. And that they wanna make sure the stuff fits (it can be a nightmare when customer buys tires and/or wheels they want mounted when it's unlikely they'll fit, or create a hazard).

But he certainly should have explained that. When I got my van converted at Salem-Kroger I drop shipped wheels, nerf bars, grill guard and other stuff to them. No charge for wheels, since I was already doing all sorts of work. And they were very reasonable about the fees for the other custom work. Most shops that do fabrication are like that.

Sportsmobile at it's core sells stuff they've already built; other than repairing their own stuff I get the impression they'd rather not do custom work. At least at SMB west. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can understand it.

But if they DO commit to doing the work, they shouldn't nickel and dime someone like this.

Rob
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #14

When I bought my SMB trailer there was a line item charge for 'Customer Supplied Wheels'. Maybe we all pay a little to make up for the guy who brings in parts that won't fit. Kind of 'We won't know if it works until we test fit the' fee.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #15

sportsmobile customer satisfaction

I had an experience with smb west. Had to keep pestering Alan and Peter and finally they made it right. What gets me is that I had to work at it to get them to make it right vs them rectifying the situation right away.

My experience with Aluminess has been very pleasing in contrast. They make it right and right away. Treat you with priority.

Can't say the same about smb west.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
My experience with Aluminess has been very pleasing in contrast. They make it right and right away. Treat you with priority.
I know some have had bad experiences with Aluminess and Aluminess refused to correct the problem they caused.

I hope you can get this resolved to everyone's satifaction.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #17

Our experience with Sportsmobile West has been outstanding. The comment above about Nick padding his commission is just plain nuts.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I would also suggest talking with SMB before stressing over it. Shop charges are what they are and although I don’t know what they charge for lugs and locks, time and labor is what it is. Recently even Les Schwab nailed me for the locks, lugs, premium valve stems and caps which tallied up to about a hundred bucks. SMB isn’t a tire shop so even I had to pay that fee when I bought the tires from them during the build. It’s also their responsibility to make sure the wheels are within specs, installed correctly, and then the van is test driven to make sure all is in order. That all takes time and labor. At least in my views I’ve thought their service to be way better than average when dealing SMB. As far as sales (as another member noted), I THINK Nick and the others don’t work for a commission; pretty sure they are hourly. I can’t comment on what other companies would charge (if any) for the same thing but I’m having my brakes done there right now and I expect I’ll be paying a similar fee that will be included in the work being completed. I could have saved a few bucks if I would have purchased the brakes and rotors through my buddy’s shop but I still would have had to pay for the labor to pull the tires and wheels to do the job. JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

I guess I would need some more information before making a judgment. It obviously could have gone a couple ways here, maybe they gave you a quote with wheels and one without. If they gave you one without and did not include the 190.00 I would say that is their problem. If they gave you the quote with wheels and you showed up with your own, and then they informed you of the 190.00 fee, that is different. I also assume in this case they removed the cost of the wheels.

While you can argue about they high cost of their pricing, that is a lot different from then being misleading, or having the salesman padding his pocket. I am not trying to be argumentative or stick up for Sportsmobile. Just saying I would need more info to hang them or the salesman.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #20

All the other comments are fair and balanced so I will just offer a counter opinion for what it is worth.

Maybe I am missing something. My guess is that the blame perhaps goes both ways.

I have heard that SMB can be difficult to deal with and not be as accommodating or "fair" as one would expect based on other stories i have heard and read about.

I personally know of 1 experience that blew my mind from an SMB customer who paid
North of $115,000 for their build. So this does not surprise me.

If it is not all about the money why get all excited about it. At the end of the day it is a hiccup.

I decided to go with Ujoint and Chris for my 4x4 for several reasons. The most important is that he is so honest and accommodating with everything. It a real pleasure doing business with him.
He stands behind his product and never nickel and dime'd me for what that is worth.

Before I give you my 6 points I will agree with you that as the client you should always be treated with respect and given the benefit of the doubt especially when things were not make clear to you from the get go.

Just take a step back and think it through.

1. you have to expect them to charge you something to mount the tires on wheels you supplied.
2. I am sure they have some risk should something bad happen and be related to the work they are doing for you.
3.Perhaps you did not cover all the "hidden" expense possibly related to work being done on your Rig.
4.I would think now would be the time to obtain something in writing that breaks down all the "extra" expenses possibly related to your build.
5. I would think that SMB should know about any "hidden" future costs associated with your build.
6. Then have SMB sign off on that so you know that anything missed by them will come at no extra expense.
7. Then I think you will be a happy camper going forward.

Good luck with your build regardless of who gets the pleasure of doing it for you.
In the end I do agree it should be a positive experience for you and that is what matters the most.