Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

sportsmobile customer satisfaction

I dropped my new 2013 e-350 off today for the beginning of a process. I elected to convert to the SMB 4x4 system, with ARB lockers, added a rear sway bar, bushwackers, etc. My salesman was Nick. As I stood there with Nick he mentioned a mounting charge for my wheels, which I was
providing. I asked how much, since there had been no previous mention of a "mounting charge"
for the wheels, which are already mounted, balanced with TPMS sensors. A bit later he said it
would be 190.00 dollars. This would be to put the wheels and tires ON THE CAR. I assumed that
somewhere in the 25 to thirty thousand dollars I was spending, MOUNTING THE WHEELS TO THE
VAN would be intrinsically included in the process. I asked if this fee was charged to all the
customers. He said the fee was part of the wheel package he had quoted me, but since I had
opted to use my own supplier they would charge the 190 dollars to test the TPMS system. Again,
something that should be intrinsically part of the process for which I was paying top dollar.
He said later that the cost was in part to provide the locking lug nuts they use. I noted to him
that we had not discussed that and asked how much the lugs cost. He said he didn't know.
I thought this situation over. I sat down with Nick and explained that I was not pleased
that a company with the repute Sportsmobile would so inanely and casually alienate a customer
who had just walked through the door with the intention of spending 65-85 thousand dollars
in the process of completing a conversion. It should be obvious to everyone that putting the
wheels on the car is a necessary part of the process included in the procedure of conversion
and a service for which they are more than compensated for. If you want to sell me expensive
lug nuts, just ask.
I made one thing clear. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. People who come to sportsmobile
are certainly not averse to spending top dollar for services rendered, but have some expection
that they will be treated respectfully. I would suggest that Nick or whoever he was parroting
has lost perspective on value. I left one very pissed off cracker having been treated in an
odious, casual, inexplicable manner. If you expect that Sportsmobile has any respect whatsoeer
for its' customers, you are in for a shock.
I forgot to ask how much the air in the tires cost. I am sure it is not included in the 25
grand I spent with them.

michaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #2

Re: sportsmobile customer satisfaction

If you dropped it off today, is it too late to find someone else? I mean if you're not going to walk over $190 charge, they're going to keep doing it to everybody.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #3

Yeah I'd be pissed too.

Between Van Specialties and QuadVan in Portland you could get everything done that SMB could do (except a pop-top and Atlas T-case) and the sales tax savings will more than pay for shipping the van round trip.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

That's just silly.

Sounds like an up charge because they couldn't make money on you with their own wheels and tires. I could be wrong.

You drop $25k and they don't care if you're a pissed off customer. I can't comprehend that.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

I'd be tempted to walk away from them. There are other options. It seems the older I get the less I'm willing to tolerate poor customer service.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

I'd go to the top and email Alan Feld. He'll either enlighten you as to why it costs that amount or agree to waive the fee.
ghoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

Walk away? Better Business Bureau, State Board of Consumer Affairs, Small Claims, a small talk
with Alan Feld who in all honesty wasn't there at the time since he went to the Overland Convention.
It is odd that a process where frankly money never was an issue became noxious in an instant due
to an egregious misjudgment by sales staff. Any and all pleasure in the process of conversion has
been overshadowed by the malignant attitude that has crept into every aspect of our society.
michaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #8

Tell them to give you a call when the job is done and you will come out and mount them yourself.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #9

If you are this unhappy with SMB-West this early in the process I would suggest putting a hold on the conversion till you talk to Alan Feld. If he doesn't make things right for you the entire conversion process will never be right. I would be prepared to walk away and make sure he understands there are options other than his shop for the conversion. I'll bet the idea of that kind of money going somewhere else will get his attention. If he is any kind of businessman he will see the nickel and dime attitude of Nick the salesman is putting a high dollar job at risk. If he doesn't recognize that as a problem he doesn't deserve your business. NW Quadvan and U-joint are both good shops that can do a top notch job converting your van to 4 wheel drive.

No need to threaten them with the better business bureau. The threat of $25-$30K walking out the door should be enough. If not go somewhere else.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
If you are this unhappy with SMB-West this early in the process I would suggest putting a hold on the conversion till you talk to Alan Feld. The threat of $25-$30K walking out the door should be enough. If not go somewhere else.
I would agree.

I think this may be Nicks way of "commission padding". Been around a long time in auto sales, but just hitting a new normal with Internet pricing cutting into sticker prices. Salesmen add all sorts of fees and add ons, management gives up most of that additional profit to keep the sales staff happy.

Tell the boss it is not a game you will play.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote