Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Sportsmobile insurance in Hawaii

I've tried 8-10 insurance companies and can't find one that will insure my 2006 E-350 Sportsmobile. It is too big for a personal vehicle. There are few RV carriers in Hawaii and they say it is a "Conversion" which implies some kind of DIY quagmire. Sportsmobile is not recognized like Winnebago and they won't accept that SMB gets the chassis from Ford, just like Winnebago. I tried Good Sam on the web and it says RV but you end up directed to a carrier that doesn't even have an RV option. All I need is liability. Help!!!

wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #2

Garage
Does your van have the RVIA sticker on it it (usually located just below the rear drivers side brake light)
That may help acquire RV status for an insurer - basically helps distinguish your van from a "conversion van".

Old 08-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Orv

Garage
Does AAA sell insurance in Hawaii? If so you might try them. After a bunch of places gave me the runaround AAA gave me liability coverage. Don't use their website -- it's not set up for quoting these types of vehicles. Call them.

I couldn't get RV insurance companies to bite because I don't have a permanently installed toilet. AAA was willing to insure it as an E-250 cargo van, even though it had a commercial VIN. They just sent someone by to make sure it didn't say "JOE'S PLUMBING SERVICE" on it or something.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #4

Garage
need to make friends with an agent . plus it helps if you have a substantial history with your agent . mine worked magic but she helped me with alot of stuff over the years . Also helps if you have an umbrella policy through same provider. 200$ a year for 5 million coverage . maybe a famliy member has a history with an agent willing to work over the underwriter for you. underwriter is the one that approves the policy . I got my 2019 transit quigley insured for 40 grand over purchase price ,replacement value.
rumrunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Garage
Have you tried State Farm? My agent had no issues insuring my 2001 as an RV for $65K. Full coverage around $900 a year, so not exactly cheep...