Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
... it is all done in Indiana and they have very little control over it.
How do you have "very little control over" your own website?? I'm confused.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
How do you have "very little control over" your own website?? I'm confused.
If I understand correctly, SMB West, SMB Texas, and SMB Indiana are three completely different companies that share (among other things) the single sportsmobile site. I had heard that it was the Texas franchise that was in charge of the website. In that respect, SMB West had "very little control" over the content of the site.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #23

Hmmm... I was commenting on what John & Dana said, in that it's all done at SMB Indiana but yet they have little control over it. If the website is "all done in Indiana" it makes no sense how they could not have much control over it. I dunno. Maybe I'm just dense: If I own a website and take care of all of it, I would think that I'd have more than "a little" control over updating and modifying it.

Unless by "little control over it" they actually mean "little interest in upkeeping" instead?

Despite each facility being its own entity, you would think it would be easy for them to share website input and have one location take care of updating the site. I mean, come on, they're all making the SAME kind of product! How difficult could it be??

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #24

Dave,

This may help. In my post I mentioned I was talking with Liz who is one of the owners of SMB West, which is a separate company from both SMB Texas and Indiana. SMB West has very little control over the content of www.sportsmobile.com because it is maintained by either SMB Texas or Indiana.

John
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
... SMB West has very little control over the content of www.sportsmobile.com because it is maintained by either SMB Texas or Indiana.
John,

Yes, I understand that each facility is their own company. I was going off of your original post where you stated that Liz told you that "it is all done in Indiana." So, I took that as for sure, so in my mind there's no question as to which facility handles the site. But it still sounds like no one is sure which facility actually does handle the website because Texas just got mentioned again.

Somebody at SMB has to know exactly who updates the site. Otherwise nothing would ever get updated on it. LOL.

I'm not trying to argue here. I'll email my SMB-North contact and find out for sure....

update: OK, email sent to Nancy, since SMB-West thinks SMB-North handles the site.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #26

Dave,

When we visited we were thinking more about what options we wanted on our van rather than who manages the website. After the visit we were on information overload so it is entirely possible that I am wrong on who manages the website.

John
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Here is a whois lookup on the domain, for what it's worth.

Registrant:
Sportsmobile Texas Inc.
9805 Gray Blvd
Austin, TX 78728
US

Domain Name: SPORTSMOBILE.COM

Administrative Contact :
Feld, Alan
sportsmobile@PSNW.COM
425 N MINNEWAWA AVE
CLOVIS, CA 93611-9194
US
Phone: (209) 322-1562
Fax: (209) 322-1565

Technical Contact :
Sportsmobile Texas Inc.
davidd@gvtc.com
9805 Gray Blvd
Austin, TX 78728
US
Phone: 512-835-4409
Fax: 512-835-1293

Record expires on 14-Feb-2017
Record created on 13-Feb-1997
Database last updated on 27-Jun-2007

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS1.LUNARPAGES.COM
NS2.LUNARPAGES.COM 216.193.207.106
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #28

Well, I heard from SMB-North. Here's what I gathered from the email:

The President of SMB is Charles Borskey. He owns both SMB-North (Indiana) and SMB-Texas. Mr. Borskey also lives in Texas.

SMB-West is a franchise, so I'm guessing someone else owns it but adheres to the President's "standards" etc...

Each facility does the same work but there may be a few options that some plants will/won't install. Most of the options are the same, which is why they use the same price list on their website.

Since the President is "stationed" at the SMB-Texas facility, he does the updates to the website there. When there is something like used van info, each facility sends it to the guy who does the website for them (sort of like a webmaster I guess). But the SMB website's content comes from the President, Mr. Borskey.

So, I guess SMB-Texas wins the website "ownership" battle, but with all the content coming from the President himself. And changes are made via a webmaster with access to the pages for editing.

Nice lowracer! Seems as though your findings just validate the Texas ownership fact.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
THat same photo is found on the front of one of the brochures.

...and it looks like someone involved has some photoship-ish skills since that photo was taken right out front of SMB TX.

Notice the fire is not really on the ground, but in a container. Much of the rest of the atmosphere was "added". And done pretty well from what I can tell.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #30

Web Site

For what it is worth , Alan mentioned to me that they had noted this posting and forwarded to their Web Master in Austin .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote