Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

We had a 2000 Eurovan Camper that we sold last year when we made the move to a Sprinter based Sportsmobile. We got basically the same layout, but more room (a double bed instead of a super-single). We are really glad we made the move.

The EVCs were last imported in 2003. They are Winnebago conversions of a VW extended length van. They hold their value well since you can't get them new and the jump in price to go to a SMB is quite substantial so there is demand for the VW despite the Winnebago conversion. After 17 years of ownership, we sold for about $6,000 less than we bought it for new.

VW diesel vans (T4 and T5) are not available in the U.S. so the new VW conversions are not available either. We saw a Reimo conversion last week, but it had German plates on it so it was obviously someone who brought it over for an extended trip.

We also had a 1969 VW Westfalia camper. I'm still nostalgic for it and when I drive my son's 1975 Baywindow Bus it brings a huge smile to my face, but the Sprinter does that in a different way so there are no regrets.

Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
If you do go VW, throw a Suburu engine and drivetrain in it!! A company in Redding, CA was doing that but last time I checked ran out of VW's to convert!!! YOU might give them a look up and call if you can find/stil in business...best of both worlds...I'd try that and if not....ya, the big brutes are the best....not biased in the least (though) lololol
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #13
Orv

Garage
There are also Vanagon conversions using the diesel parts to install a gasoline engine. The 1.8L will bolt up to the bell housing and oil pan for the 1.6L diesel, since they're from the same engine family. These are unique parts because the engine lays over at a 50 degree angle. There are some TDI conversions running around, too.

Subaru conversions provide more power and are smoother-running, but they greatly reduce ground clearance due to the deep oil pan on the Subie engines.

It should go without saying that after a conversion like that you may be on your own for repairs and maintenance, since most mechanics won't know what they're looking at.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #14

Westfalia or SMB? Try CCV!

Get a Colorado Camper Van top. They are awesome! Full width. Full sit up height. Pick your van underneath and customize until your heart is content. Mine has the access to the pop top at the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
PMCCV Top Up copy.jpg   CCVStairs copy.jpg  
JohnForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

Currently own a 2wd Vanagon Westfalia with a conversion to a VW 1.8t (Jetta turbo). It has plenty of power--twice the stock wasserboxer--and with 15" AT tires goes just about anywhere. My wife and I have been up to Alaska twice, and this past spring took it through Mexico down to Guatemala. Also overland it to Death Valley, Black Rock Desert and Grand Canyon.
Here's the kicker: we're currently waiting for delivery of a Ford Transit SMB and plan to sell the VW. We decided, as has been noted above, that the car is long in the tooth, and dread of breakdown (we've had our share) hangs in the air with each trip. Also limited living space and storage for long multi-month trips is a drawback. So it is with some regret that we part with this trusty (!?) vehicle (our third Westfalia and we've had this one for 15 years), but are looking forward to a more modern van.
el brujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #16

Vanagon/E150

I drove a Vanagon AdventureWagon for 3 years and 3 more years in a Ford AdventureWagon. Never used AAA with Vanagon, but the Ford had mysterious ignition problems in high heat which proved difficult to diagnose.

Vanagon drove great after I added sway bars, but had no AC and couldn’t easily climb the Sierras, but the wow factor was high. Never had anyone leave a note on the Ford offering to purchase it.
Ed Matney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #17

Garage
I owned a 79 VW sportsmobile, safety orange of course, wood veneer full camping interior, 2.0 FI engine. In my opinion this was the best classic bus camper out there, and the one I owned was in fantastic condition. I had it for 13 years, put over 100k on it, some of the time it was my only vehicle.

Good stuff: Totally cool 'chick' magnet, comfortable, versatile, go anywhere with chains, can reach into the fridge while underway, dog friendly, easy to work on, great camper, held its value.

Bad: Horrible in cross winds, no heat when camping (think frozen ski boots), zero crash protection (front seat foot rests are the headlight buckets), slow if forced into 3rd gear, poor heat underway (except in the summer) once drove from Sun Valley to Seattle while sitting in a sleeping bag to stay alive. No joke.

Now we own a 07 diesel 4wd RB50 SMB. Solved all of the VW drive-ability issues, is as good of a camper (truthfully much better) with heat and hot water, easy to work on (except for the engine area due to access), goes anywhere with confidence, tows the boat, going up in value, better range and mileage and you can reach into the fridge while underway.

The VW/Westy's will always get a wave and go over and say hello from me, but in comparison - there is no comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
iphone, edit these 274.jpg   212.jpg  
dar636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #18

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
... have driven over 100mph in a '65 bus...
As a former owner of a '67 bus, my first thought was to be glad you survived what must have been a harrowing crash through the guardrail and over the side of a very steep mountain.

- Bob
bokabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #19

We've owned an '87 Vanagon Westy for twelve years and about 30,000 miles and just bought a '94 Dodge B350 (1-ton) highroof maxivan as a buildout replacement for the Westy. It was fun and we like it but need a little more space for us and our junk. We get tired of shifting all of our gear twice at every stop; once to set up camp and again to break camp, and the bride is not interested in covering coast-to-coast distances in it. We'd have considered a Sportsmobile but they are rare around here and what we found was cheap and will be a fun build.
Attached Thumbnails
Vanagon and Debbie.jpg  
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokabu View Post
As a former owner of a '67 bus, my first thought was to be glad you survived what must have been a harrowing crash through the guardrail and over the side of a very steep mountain.

- Bob

and lived to tell about it

The 100mph bus was heavily modified for an over the highway rally series, My buddy Greg and I won the Championship in that rig. Type 1 based 2liter w/dual 40IDF webers and Steve Tims big valve heads, merged header, factory offset and external oil coolers, tall geared transaxle, disc brakes, heavy front sway bar, home built front air dam and side skirts.

I managed that on a flat section of old Route 66 east of Needles. A 100mph ticket wouldn't have been a disaster, it would have been a badge of honor!