Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Sportsmobile Weekender?

Hi, I'm contemplating my next Sportsmobile and wanted to get your input.

My ideal Sportsmobile would be a replacement for my existing daily driver (Dodge Ram) and would not require all of the appliances, etc. I would prefer a pop top bed and a convertible sofa.

I really like the concept of the classic VW Weekender campers. They are VW campers with the pop top, a back seat that turns into a bed and two rear facing seats which can be pulled out.

Are there any models of Transit or possibly slightly older Sprinters (Dodge era) that could be configured this way? I would want it to be factory parts where possible - as if I build a seat or a bed it would look horrendous and instantly become a termite nest.

I like the convenience of appliances but really don't need them.

Here's a Weekender floorplan.

SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Any reason not to just put the front seats on swivels so you can utilize that space while lounging? Are you wanting to make the weekender seats usable while driving so you could seat 7?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

You have a good point.

Must have:
- Pop up bed
- Forward facing rear seat that converts to bed - with headrests for safety - comfortable seating for two/three and forward facing

Nice to have:
- Swivel front passenger seat
- one or two jump seats (the rear facing seats) - would be to add hypothetical seating capacity plus be nice for lounging; may also be a good point for harnessing in the dog which I think more about when I go out. Yes/no?
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

I have been looking for something similar. One interesting thing I can across is the new modular kitchens that can be temporarily install. The older ford wagons with a bench in the back and four seats are interesting. Just put swivels on the beach seats and install a table.
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

That’s pretty much what we’re building out now with our E350. We decided to build a platform bed in the back behind the second bench (roughly full size for two kids), and kept the stock bench just in front of it. We’re getting the pop-top installed later this month and installing the passenger swivel seat.

We are opting to keep both bench seats behind the driver/passenger since we have three small kids (5/3/1yrs), but will take the first row out for weekender trips.

The platform in the back is split into three pieces for easy removal, but has plenty of room beneath for camping gear and storage.

Check out the old SMB Transformer for a neat layout. That’s pretty much what I used for my own template.
lavolpe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #6

That is awesome. How hard is it to take out that bench seat?
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianf7028 View Post
That is awesome. How hard is it to take out that bench seat?
It’s heavy, but otherwise it’s really easy. The seats just pop out their bases. The bases are more difficult, but still, it’s only 4 bolts per base, so that’s not really tough either.