Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #21

Garage
I was told they have 2 years work on the books , If you called last week with $150,000 in hand it would still be 2 years before completion .

rumrunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #22

https://expeditionportal.com/sportsm...inc-has-ended/

same news..pretty much...

My question is .....Who is Sportsmobile IP??? I always thought Sportsmobile West was the originator of the whole thing...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #23

Indiana was the OG location. Then came Austin and then California. I thought the website still had the history of the brand up. I think it is cool. West was always kind of a rebel.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #24

https://sportsmobile.com/our-earlier-years/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsmobile
Old 09-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #25

That's very cool (the old ads, pics and info). It makes you wonder where all of these old ones are? You think they would be better preserved than your average van or car and looks like many were made but they are exceedingly rare.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyswann View Post
A rose by any other name? I've been waiting for 2 weeks for an answer to a pretty simple question I emailed concerning my penthouse. But maybe they were just too busy doing high level corporate business. So i"ll do what I knew I should have to begin with. Ask the Forum Gurus. I am certain that the combined knowledge of Forum members is far greater than that of the company (corporate or West) that built these lovable beasts.
Texas or Indiana will get you an answer a lot quicker than West.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That's very cool (the old ads, pics and info). It makes you wonder where all of these old ones are? You think they would be better preserved than your average van or car and looks like many were made but they are exceedingly rare.

Depends how you define “old.” I still see one from the early and mid 80s come up for sale, and occasionally older VW ones. Given that they were probably a fairly low-volume producer in the early days the original vehicle pool is small to begin with.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #28

By old I guess I was meaning the 60's/70's. In those pics you see big buildings, LOTS of people (although I'm sure with all of those ladies in dresses this was a company picnic type of deal) and warehouse pics with tons of premade parts stored. Where did they all go? It points to a pretty high demand, large support structure and operation.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
By old I guess I was meaning the 60's/70's. In those pics you see big buildings, LOTS of people (although I'm sure with all of those ladies in dresses this was a company picnic type of deal) and warehouse pics with tons of premade parts stored. Where did they all go? It points to a pretty high demand, large support structure and operation.

Gotcha. Maybe most were VWs that have long since wasted away?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #30

All, I'm looking for some opinions. I've got a 2020 Transit AWD build in the pipeline at SMB west but the van has still not been built by Ford yet. It was due in production in early April at Ford. At this point would you continue with the SMB West build or wait until next June. I haven't talked to them yet so have no idea what warranty work going forward past 2021 looks like. In other words, are there negatives with sticking with my original SMB build. Thanks
Thedee29 is offline   Reply With Quote