Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

Good suggestions, taking it to a mechanic. Mine is a Starcool 3 model, with the compressor mounted under the van, and the relays/capacitor are easily accessed in a little box mounted on the compressor. I heard my relays clicking and the compressor wouldn't fire. I bought new parts and it fired up. Lucky, I guess! I imagine yours might be an earlier generation of Starcool, being a '98?

tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

My 98 was a Starcool 3.

OP, to correctly recharge the system the rear Starcool AC must be on as well as the front. So you need to get that issue sorted before adding coolant. As noted there are quite a few deep threads on troubleshooting Starcool systems that likely have all the info you need and then some. Better to use those than start yet another thread IMO. (They should probably be made sticky for easy reference...)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB1997Dodge3500 View Post
@artictraveller The only thing air that comes on is the air through the Vents on the dashboard of the cabin and only operates at Max. So, I was suggested by others to recharge the A/C.
There are two separate systems, the original factory Ford system that works when the engine is running, and the additional Starcool system that operates when plugged into 110Vac. The engine driven system is tied together with the Starcool system. When the engine system is running, it also circulates refrigerant to the rear Starcool evaporator to provide extra cooling. When operating on shore power, only the Starcool compressor under the van runs and the in dash system is locked out. The in dash blower speed does not have any effect on the Starcool system. Start with the manual to get an understanding of how the system is designed to work, then you will be able to ask specific questions related to that system.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
If the rear blower doesn't come on you need to start there.
I think the OP is saying air only comes out of the dash vents, and when on high. I don't think he yet understands the systems are somewhat separate, and he likely has multiple issues.
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I think the OP is saying air only comes out of the dash vents, and when on high. I don't think he yet understands the systems are somewhat separate, and he likely has multiple issues.
I don't disagree, but everything on starcool really starts with the blower switch. If the problem is that he didn't turn it on, so be it.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #16

I see now you guys have already troubleshooted all these SMB Starcool Issues!!! I see a lot of you have been replying today too. THANK YOU @ Scalf77 for manuals!!! And thank you everyone else for your patience and help!!!

"Also, not sure what year your van is, but here's a link to Starcool manuals from my 1998 SMB build with a Starcool III:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...998-19048.html "
SMB1997Dodge3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I don't disagree, but everything on starcool really starts with the blower switch. If the problem is that he didn't turn it on, so be it. -greg
For sure. It's a bit complicated to learn, but with the manual it doesn't take long..............
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #18

What's the latest? Eager to know because I also have a downed Starcool right now, as well as some check engine codes that indicate leaks in the AC. I am in the Portland OR area and would like to find someone who really knows their RV AC to repair this. I would expect to start with hoses?
piequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by piequeen View Post
What's the latest? Eager to know because I also have a downed Starcool right now, as well as some check engine codes that indicate leaks in the AC.
What codes are you reading, and what specific issues are you having? No rear fan, fan blows but no cold air, does the factory in dash A/C work? Year and model? Have you gone through the manual to determine how to use the system?
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #20

I will get back to you on codes. Factory in-dash A/C does not work. 2002 Dodge Ram3500 extended. Just diving back into this issue since I am planning a cross country trip in August.
piequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997, a/c, fan, smb, starcool