Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #61

Does it take a while for the compressor to fire up? Seems like everything is working but compressor. Both condenser fans, and evaporate blower are running.

Beejmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #62

Plugged in with blower on high. Are batteries being drained? Compressor still not on.
Attached Thumbnails
C4F38498-5B1C-427D-83BB-8D3DDE2B05C2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #63

yes, house battery is being drained.

Something is amiss with 1 and 7. I would not expect 7 to have 12 volts, unless 1 also had 12 volts. It is possible that relay is bad (stuck on) the fact. That would be the left relay on the top row.

Check thermostat make sure it was off, or measure terminal 3 to ground,

also when running on 120, check 1 to ground, this is where the 120 relay get its pick voltage from.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #64

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The aux condenser fan doesn't run until the compressor motor starts. Can you tell if the compressor starts?
Just a blown fuse !
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #65

Thank you to the folks on this forum for their guidance, and knowledge. I’m not sure if there are no stupid questions, because I have a lot of questions.

I especially would like to thank Scalf77 for extra effort, and patience.

Result= ground off compressor/solenoid relay.
Starcool is cold!
BJM
Old 09-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #66

Hey, all. Thanks for the information posted here. I am the new, and second owner of a 2001 SMB Ford E250 extended van. I, too, am having the problem of no AC (Starcool III) with shore power. I have learned, after reading here, that my front fan is popping fuses (it is squeaky when turning by hand, but not frozen) and my auxillary (under van) fan is fairly frozen. I don't know if these fans are original or replacements. Both have the black wire butt spliced into the hot and both have the blue wire grounded to the frame. It seems that the Mr. Gasket fans are drop in replacements, while the ebay fans need modifications. Do you recall, Arctic Traveler, what kind of mods you had to make?

Also, my relay panel does not look at all like the schematic in my manual, or like the pictures posted in this thread. I am posting a photo of my panel in hopes that someone can tell me what I'm looking at.

Thanks, all,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
20200907_161013.jpg  
tbrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrasher View Post
Do you recall, Arctic Traveler, what kind of mods you had to make?

Also, my relay panel does not look at all like the schematic in my manual, or like the pictures posted in this thread. I am posting a photo of my panel in hopes that someone can tell me what I'm looking at.Todd
The fans I installed had mounts that differed from the original ones. I don't remember exactly what was involved in mounting them, but I think I just had to drill some new holes in the fan shroud that matched the new mounts.

Your photo shows just a couple fuse blocks, along with what may be a relay at the top of the photo. I expect that somewhere there is a separate relay panel, but I haven't seen that setup before. Anyway, frozen fans, despite blowing their individual fuses shouldn't stop the compressor from running, at least they didn't on my version. Without the fans though, you won't get much cooling as the fans are needed to remove heat from the condensers.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #68

Thank you, sir. After looking a little closer, I discovered that the relay panel is sitting behind that fuse block. There are four relays back there like everyone else's. The fifth relay (up left) may be the one where the drivers side on/off switch hooks up (??) This van (2001) has that switch to the left above the Driver's head.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #69

Go to post 27 in this thread to see the wiring diagram.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #70

I have now replaced my forward condenser fan with a Mr Gasket. I wired it up, started the van and its AC. When I turned on the blower motor, the fuse blew on the new fan. Is this a wiring issue on my part, or does this indicate a short somewhere? I have not checked anything on the relay panel as of yet.

Thanks all,