Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #81

Is there some reason you don’t believe SMB? Looks like the Starcool capacitor/relay box to me.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #82

No, I thought the capacitor box was a metal box closer to the compressor. This box is further back toward the rear suspension. Do you have an idea of how to secure it? Two tabs (on one side) that were screwed to the underside of the floor are broken off the box. They (the tabs) are still attached to the floor.

Thanks,
tbrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #83

Starcool info

My 98’s was in front of the driver’s side rear wheel. You can probably just use self-tapping screws right through the box (if it’s plastic) up into the floor, or maybe L-brackets. If it’s a metal box of course you’d have to drill holes in the box first.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #84

That is where mine is, but it's just laying on top of the leaf spring assembly. It was mounted to the floor underside with two of the four tabs on the box. Those two tabs are broken off the box. How is yours mounted? I've got to figure a way to secure mine. It just traveled 1800 miles as is, but I need to re attach it to something.

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #85

Missed the rest of your reply. Thanks for those ideas.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #86

If you don't want to drill holes in the box, some plumbers tape (metal strips with holes) could be wrapped around the box and screwed to the floor.

https://www.grainger.com/product/447...P7A1P:20501231
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
If you don't want to drill holes in the box, some plumbers tape (metal strips with holes) could be wrapped around the box and screwed to the floor.
I like that idea. I was thinking along those lines, so, thanks for the validation.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #88

Hey All,

I now have a fully functioning Starcool III system in my 2001 SMB. On shore power (or generator) both fans work , the compressor starts, and I have cold air. In 12v "driving" mode, however, it is my "underneath" fan, and NOT my "front" fan that spins. From what I have read, this is backwards. The "front" fan should spin when driving.

Before replacing the frozen "underneath" fan, the "front" fan fuse (labelled 12v cond) would blow every time I switched on the blower switch in 12v "driving" mode (even with a new good fan in front). After disconnecting the frozen "underneath" fan, the fuse remained intact.

Is it possible that my fans are somehow cross wired to the wrong relays?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #89

Hey All,

Has anyone had time to give any thought to my post above? I have a working Starcool III system. It's just that the underneath fan spins with the AC running while driving. I thought the front fan was supposed to spin while driving. Both fans work on shore power.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 10-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrasher View Post
Hey All,

Has anyone had time to give any thought to my post above? I have a working Starcool III system. It's just that the underneath fan spins with the AC running while driving. I thought the front fan was supposed to spin while driving. Both fans work on shore power.

Thanks,

Todd

It does sound like the relays are mixed up/crossed. Pretty simple to test: just switch the two sets of wires and see if it works.