Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #1

Steering gear and pitman arm questions, 2006 E350 6.0

I have a 2006 E350 6.0 with Sportsmobile's 4x4. I need to replace the steering gear and left pitman arm. I want to use a Redhead steering gear and they need to know if Sportsmobile modified or installed something other than an original equipment gear or, if it's stock. Same question about the pitman arm. I've had no luck getting an answer from Field Van or sportsmobile. Anyone know if my gear and pitman arm are original equipment? Thanks.

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #2

Garage
I replaced mine with a redhead and it’s a direct replacement from stock. I don’t have any suggestions on the pitman arm but when I rebuilt my front end it did not look like SMB made it themselves. Did you try Dynatrac?
Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #3

I have a 2005 PSD 6.0 Sportsmobile 4x4 and I have replaced my steering box with a NAPA reman (total failure there) and then a Red Head about a year ago. I both times I ordered the original E350 part number and it was a direct drop in including the splines/taper of the arm. Probably no issue there.

I know the pitman arm on mine is a Ford cast part I will need to look to see if it has a part number cast into it. My question is to confirm, and I think it is, if it's the original to the van or if SMB used a different drop length from another Ford vehicle like an Excursion. I'm pretty sure it's the orginal.

Wasn't there a thread about this a while back? Could have been a Quigley 4x4 conversion in that discussion though.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I replaced mine with a redhead and it’s a direct replacement from stock. I don’t have any suggestions on the pitman arm but when I rebuilt my front end it did not look like SMB made it themselves. Did you try Dynatrac?
Thanks I’ll look into Dynatrac.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I have a 2005 PSD 6.0 Sportsmobile 4x4 and I have replaced my steering box with a NAPA reman (total failure there) and then a Red Head about a year ago. I both times I ordered the original E350 part number and it was a direct drop in including the splines/taper of the arm. Probably no issue there.

I know the pitman arm on mine is a Ford cast part I will need to look to see if it has a part number cast into it. My question is to confirm, and I think it is, if it's the original to the van or if SMB used a different drop length from another Ford vehicle like an Excursion. I'm pretty sure it's the orginal.

Wasn't there a thread about this a while back? Could have been a Quigley 4x4 conversion in that discussion though.

- Eric
Thanks. Be great if you can determine if your pitman arm is stock too.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
- Eric
Mine = 2006 6.0: Also a direct fit replacement with a stock Ford OEM box about 7 years ago (original box had to contend with the Sportsmobile lift and 35" tires for 10 years - so that was good enough for me).
Obviously NOT EVERYONE has had issues with Red Head, but at that time my Shop encouraged me not to use them since they had already encountered numerous issues with Red Head's failing. Admittedly, I have no idea what consumer feedback is out there currently concerning them...hopefully positive.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #7

Thanks, good info. Didn’t know that about Redhead.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #8

I’ve also replaced mine with a Red Head about 5 years ago. Direct drop in and I have no complaints about the Red Head….still very tight and right!!
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:27 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
In the high end steering box market there's a new player, Blue Top: https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/

I have no affilication nor experience but its another vendor to look into perhaps.

They currently have nothing in stock for the E-Series, could be they now only rebuild and return only at the moment.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #10

Sorry, used wrong space.