Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #11

I looked at Ravelco based on your post. It does look like it is a secure kill switch.

However, it doesn't seem to be a deterent to the initial break in. Hard door locks, a steering wheel lock and a flashing LED looking like an alarm may be enough that theves just walk on by.

roverut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

That’s a unique looking van I’m keeping my eyes peeled for it around the Santa Cruz area!

I had a steering wheel lock on and a bright flashing red led on my dash = fake alarm and it was STILL broken into the other day.. I just had an alarm installed and my installer said they test smack the van to see if it’s really armed.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #13

I'm going to check out Ravelco............buy a steering wheel lock...already have blinking red light connected to traditional car alarm.
I totally understand the CA observation. I live in SoCal and have thoughts about leaving.
As the range increases between haves and have nots there is a ever increasing crime rate and vehicles are the easy item to take.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
WoW
Makes me think I need to build out my security system...which currently is ZERO.Like to hear ideas........2003 E350 SMB 7.3Where do I start?
Almost nothing can prevent a smash and grab, or tow away, but you can sure slow them down. First, would be a Revelco to prevent a drive away theft. An alarm with a starter / fuel pump cut out can also help prevent a drive away, along with making a lot of noise. Backing your van into a parking space will help prevent a tow away as the rear wheels won't turn. Steering wheel locks can be defeated very quickly, but in conjunction with an alarm sounding, a thief may decide to move on before someone sees them working on the wheel lock. Dead bolts on the doors will prevent opening the doors. Hidden fuel pump cut outs are common, and then a GPS locator device will help make a quick recovery. I try to have at least three different deterrents on all my vans, each of which will slow them down enough that they may just give up.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #15

I did check out Ravelco and they will be installing next Wednesday.
In addition I will be installing(using) a steering wheel lock bar.
Question: which is the better steering wheel lock?
I also have a traditional alarm attached to ignition with a blinking red light.
The 2003 SMB is like part of my family ...I would hate to lose her. Not sure it would be possible to replace her. O' the family is just me and the 03. We have never had a argument.
Open to other suggestions.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
I did check out Ravelco and they will be installing next Wednesday. Open to other suggestions.
I have several defenses against the thieves, but someone determined enough can still take my van, so I installed a GPS locator device. If they do take it, at least I can locate it pretty much instantly, there are many claims of a high percentage of recoveries within 24 hours using GPS.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ons-24855.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanfrancisco, stolen