Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #21

Re: STOLEN out of BERKELEY- 95 e350 Sportsmobile 4x4 Champag

Nokia phone plus cheap monthly service and you have your tracker. Shove it up under the dash, hardwire a charger and you're good. Pretty popular with the Toyota set.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Last time I was in the local So Cal AAA office dealing with some policy changes they offered me a free GPS locator. I asked how it worked and he told me it plugged into the OBDI port. OK not only would I lose my ScanGauge connection but where would any competent thief look first. I declined. I think my Ravelco no hot wire device will thwart most drive away thieves and once a would be thief with a tow truck realizes its a 6.0 PSD he will find more lucrative pickings elsewhere. That only leaves the really stupid and desperate drug fueled van-jackers to worry about.
Best idea ever. Gonna put 6.0 stickers on my van.

I'll be back at 930. Tip jar on the piano.
:mrgreen:
Now thats funny right there....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

My bad for the thread hijack. Seems like a good solution Sourcingbay Tracking Drive Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System by sourcingbay http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FLOWAU/ref ... ztb03N0TH9
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
My bad for the thread hijack. Seems like a good solution Sourcingbay Tracking Drive Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System by sourcingbay http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FLOWAU/ref ... ztb03N0TH9
I was looking at something similar (until I blew up my engine). Have your van call your cell phone every time it starts. If you didn't start it, call it right back and tell it to disable the van. Use H2O wireless (AT&T towers). SIM card for $6.99. One year's wireless service for $100.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
The device seems like an interesting package.

I'd think it would actually be more effective if it said something other than "GPS Tracker" on the device.

Also, I made a note of what the missing van looks like, and will keep an eye out around the bay area. Sorry to hear that that happened.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Last time I was in the local So Cal AAA office dealing with some policy changes they offered me a free GPS locator. I asked how it worked and he told me it plugged into the OBDI port. OK not only would I lose my ScanGauge connection but where would any competent thief look first. I declined. I think my Ravelco no hot wire device will thwart most drive away thieves and once a would be thief with a tow truck realizes its a 6.0 PSD he will find more lucrative pickings elsewhere. That only leaves the really stupid and desperate drug fueled van-jackers to worry about.
Best idea ever. Gonna put 6.0 stickers on my van.

I'll be back at 930. Tip jar on the piano.
:mrgreen:
Now thats funny right there....
Even worse, the device would likely function exactly as expected and the bad actors would not only never come remotely close to noticing but also get away. How do we get around to working on changing the behavior? And huaahhhh to the brave defenders catching them and thwarting them in the act! All too much of this going on. The risks are high and the world needs to heal.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #27

Aw man. I was hoping to see a happy ending to this one after bumping thread that is over 1.5 years ago!
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Any update on this? I think it's everyone's nightmare...
Makes me think of hiding one of these somewhere on my rig. http://www.bluecosmo.com/satellite-trac ... 7AodyQwAyg
I've been looking for a GPS tracker for my vehicles but they all seem to fall short in one way or another.

This one seems useless for any type of vehicle that's not a plastic toy car like the one in that video. I'm certain that's why they didn't use a real car for the demo.

Instructions says: Place device with logo facing up and do not place under any metal.

So Wth are you supposed to discreetly install it then?
Could work inside my thule container... hmm
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #29

That's what I was thinking too.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #30

I've probably wasted more time thinking about this than it is worth.

However, after a friend had their van stolen from a shop lot during a trip, it certainly is a real issue. FWIW, she got the van back but everything inside was gone. In her case that was supplies for two weeks of camping + tools + clothes, etc. Sure, she's filing a home-owners claim on the contents, so she'll get some of the money back, but just thinking about the hours I have sunk into finding and sourcing all the really right tools and finding clothes that work and fit? On top of it, she got her somewhat damaged van back, which would have, in the end been a much simpler write-off.

Based on all that, I feel like I want to do what I can to prevent the van from being stolen in the fist place. However if it's gone for long enough for someone to have gone through the interior, I'm really not sure I want it back anymore. -- No, I won't do anything questionable to skip proper procedure and all, but I also don't think I'd drop money on a GPS locator that may just as well make me responsible for a flaming mess by the side of some road.

I have an alarm with a started cutout, and a some non-obvious ways to keep the fuel pump from running. The last thing I'm considering is some way to make it harder to open the doors. Slide bolts that you close on everything but the last door you pull shut seem like a cute trick that might puzzle a thief for long enough to get them to move on.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote