Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2023, 02:36 PM   #1

Stranded in Moab - Front Wheel Bearing

Hello -
We just made it to Moab when our front wheel bearing went out, really hot, grease all over the tire and loud so need it replaced. Lost also brake pressure, I assume break fluid got cooked when the bearing got hot.
Any recommendations on where to take the SMB here in Moab who can help quickly so that we can keep on going? It's a 2006 6.0 Diesel with 4x4 from Sportsmobile, we are staying at a campground downtown and can slowly drive to a place close by.
Thanks,
Juergen

jdaiberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #2

Going to be tough on a sunday. There are several 4x4 repair shops in town. There is also a napa store if you can find the bearing number.

If you need a front axle repair there's probably no better town in the country for this to happen. l o l
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:41 PM   #3

East side of town on the left - almost to the end of "business's - just can't remember the name of the shop - checked my wheel bearings/tire after I hit a metal drain frame before final paving to level - 2-3 inch bam going 45 mph in the dark ! You'd probably have to spend the night in your van till some shops open up tomorrow !? Good luck !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #4

This might help. This is the SMB parts list for their Dynatrac front axle. It is for my van that is also a 2006 SMB with a 6.0 diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
smb list 1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2023, 05:18 PM   #5

Call Rory (Trail Mater) at Moab Motorsports? He’s not doing the work, but I’m fairly sure he can help and point the right direction
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Call Rory (Trail Mater) at Moab Motorsports? He’s not doing the work, but I’m fairly sure he can help and point the right direction
Thanks, met someone with a SMB today in Moab and he gave me the same advice, will be at his shop tomorrow morning 8 AM. There is a Ford dealer here in town but not sure they know Sportsmobile that well.
jdaiberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Stranded in Moab - Front Wheel Bearing

Right, but it’s a bearing, so that’ll be a ford part, unless you’ve got an aftermarket kit on there like the free spin hub kit from Dynatrac, you should be able to either pick up a new front unit bearing from Napa and/or get it fixed at an independent shop or at the dealership
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #8

Exactly what REF said. It is a Dana 60 axle. SMB does not make axles so SMB has nothing to do with the bearing, gears, axle cover, brakes, axle ujoints, rear axle, drive shafts, transfercase, motor. You have a sealed bearing from your description, any dealer, off road shop, mechanic that works on 4x4 can handle it. 50% of the tricked out Jeeps you see going up and down main street have the same Dana 60's axle like your van. The only SMB product is the accessories related to a camper vehicle. Same as Ujoint and Agile do conversions
they don't make axles they buy them.
Even the Free Spin hub conversion is primarily over the counter parts except for an item or two machined by Dynatrac, chances are if you did not pay extra for it then you don't have that option. All it is is an old style hub with Timken bearings and probably patented DTrac locking mechanism.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaiberl View Post
Hello -
We just made it to Moab when our front wheel bearing went out, really hot, grease all over the tire and loud so need it replaced. Lost also brake pressure, I assume break fluid got cooked when the bearing got hot.
Any recommendations on where to take the SMB here in Moab who can help quickly so that we can keep on going? It's a 2006 6.0 Diesel with 4x4 from Sportsmobile, we are staying at a campground downtown and can slowly drive to a place close by.
Thanks,
Juergen

Front Wheel Bearing Hub on the D60 is very easy to replace.. Do them both at the same time. All the major Auto Stores have them . I recommend these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-515036
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:38 PM   #10

Garage
I recently had to replace a front wheel bearing "hub assembly" on my 2002 SMB with a Quigley front leaf spring 4x4 conversion. The hub assembly on mine is a stock F350 part but the wheel stud pattern spacing on that part is 8 x 170mm. My stock hub assemblies had a second set of stud holes drilled for the 8 X 6-1/2" pattern to match the stock rear wheel mounting pattern. Fortunately, I was equipped to drill the hub in my machine shop so I replaced both of them. Hopefully you won't run into this problem!