Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
Had a look at the transmission mount. Everything seems secure there. More alarming is the amount of oil (or maybe trans fluid?) all over the transmission extension housing near where the transmission meets the driveshaft. See video. Is this 'cause for concern?

Replace the Trans mount.. you cannot tell by looking unless its torn.. But Trust me. When mine went it looked Great but it was worn out. The Shock Mount breaks down over time and will look good to your eye but will allow to much movement in the Trans and that will echo down the entire Drive line. So first just Swap it out so you can eliminate it..Its very easy to remove and replace and very affordable.

The Oil you see looks like a Minor leak from the Tail Shaft of your Transfer case. That happens . You have a Seal on the Tail Shaft and another on the Front side of that between the Transfer case. Its also easy to swap but I woudl take it to a Transmission Shop and have them remove the Transfer case and Reseal it then Replace the Tail Shaft Seal as well.. And while your at it let them replace the Transmission Mount.. Like I said you cannot see a Bad Trans Mont nor can you pull on it with your hand. But that one Mount will cause lots of Shaking and rattling as its working against the Torque from the Transmission.

a new one is 18 bucks. and about 10 mins labor.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/For...81Z6068DA.html

Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:33 PM   #12

Lots of good info here. I have 125K miles on a 1997 E-350 and the exhaust looks all pretty good. No sounds yet.
posplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #13

Went out to clean up the residue where the transmission meets the driveshaft. Upon taking a closer look, that black ring is not oil! I'm gonna say that this rubber seal is not supposed to be outside the transmission extension housing, yah?

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #14

Or maybe it is? Most pictures I've seen seem to have a shorter rubber seal. Hard for me to be sure.
olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
Or maybe it is? Most pictures I've seen seem to have a shorter rubber seal. Hard for me to be sure.
That's the oil seal with an integral dust boot. When I replaced mine a parts search at the local auto parts store kept coming up with a seal without the larger boot. It would have fit, but I preferred the added protection of the original style and finally found a number on the original one that identified it. As for your noise, the muffler on mine had something come loose inside, and would make a random rattling noise, and smacking it with a mallet identified the source. As for your oil leak, it doesn't look too serious and as long as you don't let it run out of oil, you could go for years like that, but if that oil is soaking into the transmission mount rubber it can degrade it. Good luck.............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #16

Garage
I'm probably wrong, but my F150 made a similar sound when the front right wheel bearing went out.