Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Strange Noise from Passenger Side of 2000 Ford E250 5.4

I've got a 2000 Ford E250 5.4 2WD with 180K on her. I've had a strange noise ever since purchasing at 150K, but seems to have gotten worse/louder over last 6mo/15Kmi or so while taking her all around the west coast and across the country to FL. The noise kinda sounds like 2 flattened aluminum cans being rubbed together. Or maybe like chains being wound up on a spool. That's the best I can do to describe it. It only happens on acceleration, I'm thinking between 15-40mph. I don't really hear it on the highway going 50+ (I'm not sure if other road/engine noise might be drowning it out, but I don't think so). Noise stops as soon as I let off the pedal. I tried revving in neutral and I don't hear it. It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side...if I am driving next to a wall or guardrail, I can really hear it.

This video was taken awhile back and it has gotten louder since, so I should probably have my lady film a better one (and with the windows closed), but if you listen close you can hear it at around the 5 sec mark.

Any ideas? Thanks for having a look (and listen!). -Parker

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Check your motor mounts. Based on the pattern you describe, I suspect the engine torque is rotating the engine enough the part of the exhaust or a heat shield is contacting a crossmember. I had a similar issue, kept driving, until the mount let loose and the engine flopped over far enough to break the pax side exhaust collector.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #3

Didn’t inspect the motor mounts, but did put the van in drive and reverse and give a lil gas with brake on. Didn’t see the engine move more than .5” in either direction. Not ruling out motor mounts, but any other possible culprits?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #4

I’d still suspect some sort of exhaust contact. Possible a loose heat shield, and that small amount of moment is all it needs to barely contact the chassis.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #5
Orv

Garage
+1 on catalytic converter heat shield. They sometimes come loose and rattle, or you might have a broken exhaust mount that's letting it get too close to the body. On a 2000 an aftermarket exhaust installed with too little clearance is another option. They can make quite a racket.

Look for places where the exhaust or heat shield are within an inch or two of the body. If you see any shiny spots that's a big hint.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

My rig has the V10 so it has 4 cats on the exhaust...and they make all sorts of noise. Not the cats themselves but the heat shields that are tack welded to the cats. One of the tack welds cracked/broke on mine and that became REALLY noisy until it was repaired. But all of the heat shields seem to make noise to some extent.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
I've got a 2000 Ford E250 5.4 2WD with 180K on her. I've had a strange noise ever since purchasing at 150K, but seems to have gotten worse/louder over last 6mo/15Kmi or so while taking her all around the west coast and across the country to FL. The noise kinda sounds like 2 flattened aluminum cans being rubbed together. Or maybe like chains being wound up on a spool. That's the best I can do to describe it. It only happens on acceleration, I'm thinking between 15-40mph. I don't really hear it on the highway going 50+ (I'm not sure if other road/engine noise might be drowning it out, but I don't think so). Noise stops as soon as I let off the pedal. I tried revving in neutral and I don't hear it. It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side...if I am driving next to a wall or guardrail, I can really hear it.

This video was taken awhile back and it has gotten louder since, so I should probably have my lady film a better one (and with the windows closed), but if you listen close you can hear it at around the 5 sec mark.

Any ideas? Thanks for having a look (and listen!). -Parker

Check Transmission Mount. in fact just replace it, its cheep and very easy to swap. This will cause this and it will get much worse as time goes by. Also Find all the Heat shielding around you Cats and make sure they are not rubbing the Transfer case. In my case after about 20 years I had to do some trimming to the Heat shield.. But the real issue was the Transmission Mount.. IT appeard fine.. But was more Flexible than the new one and fixed this issue.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #8

Apologies for the lack of followup. All of the exhaust mounts seem secure. I checked all of the heat shield and didn't find much. Found exactly 1 broken tack weld near the cat. Here is a quick video. Could this 1 broken tack weld be responsible for all this racket? I'll find a metal strap, tighten it down and see.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
Apologies for the lack of followup. All of the exhaust mounts seem secure. I checked all of the heat shield and didn't find much. Found exactly 1 broken tack weld near the cat. Here is a quick video. Could this 1 broken tack weld be responsible for all this racket? I'll find a metal strap, tighten it down and see.

Maybe. as it heats up it will get louder and quieter. Shove a Popsicle stick or something in that gap and let it warm up .. If you do not hear it you know. Easy enough to tack it back down.

Did you check that Trans Mount ?
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #10

Had a look at the transmission mount. Everything seems secure there. More alarming is the amount of oil (or maybe trans fluid?) all over the transmission extension housing near where the transmission meets the driveshaft. See video. Is this 'cause for concern?