Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Garage
Stripes on Side of Sportsmobile

Hi All,

I've got a stripe down the side of my SMB that looks as though it was installed by a blind person (no offense intended if you're a blind, professional stripe installer). I'd like to simply remove it, but I think it's original from 1998 and will most likely leave some evidence of its presence. So, I'm thinking that a slightly wider stripe over top may be the way to go.

Can anyone recommend a place to get a new one installed in/near San Diego?

Thanks,

capn

capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

Re: Stripes on Side of Sportsmobile

FYI, If it's an original SMB-installed stripe, most likely it's painted on. Many threads in the forum relating to this, you might find some useful info in them.

I have a 98 with a SMB installed painted stripe. I used to hate it, but I've kinda grown to like it, as I think the white EB van would look pretty plain without it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Garage

Thanks, Brian. This one is definitely vinyl, as it is peeling up in a couple of spots. Perhaps it isn't an original stripe from SMB then.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

As Brian mentioned, painted on stripes were common in that era (I think maybe mostly from Indiana?). My rig had them. However, even though some of the color schemes were a bit... shall way say... "RV" - they were nicely done. Straight, clear-coated, thorough.

So anyway, sounds like you have a vinyl stripe. I would recommend a 3M "Stripe off" wheel that you chuck into a drill type device. There are other ways but this seems to work well. I have read that non-3M ones are not as good, but haven't ever used an "off" brand.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Garage

^^^ nothing beats an eraser wheel for removing stripes or emblem stickum off paint.

ive been using a non 3m one for years with zero issues. i cant see how a non 3m one wouldnt work just as good unless it wears un-uniformly. mine is a little out of round, but i blame that on one of the idgets i loaned it out to. either way, there is no better way to get stuff off of paint you care about.

only thing is you might get a ghost stripe, but ive found that they disappear pretty quick on non black or dark colored cars/trucks. especially if you rewax just after removing the stripe. it took 2 summers to see the ghost pinstripes disappear from my last black car i removed jenky stripes from. if your reinstalling some in the same design, that shouldnt be an issue at all.

and keep in mind, most tint shops that work with vinyl can add/remove pinstripes for you pretty easily.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

I was able to get my 99 smb decal stripes off. Used a high heat gun, a ton of plastic blades, and 3m adhesive remover. I also used the 3m eraser wheel for a few sections.
1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

Garage

Thanks a lot, guys. All excellent advice, and I'll be picking up some of those tools to help me get the old stripes off. I sent pictures of the van to a company here in San Diego today that said they could give me a quote to put new ones on. If for some reason there is no ghost stripe, I'll evaluate the van without any at all before I have new ones put back on. My thoughts are similar to BrianW however, and I feel that the mass of the van is really broken up nicely by a stripe.

Thanks again,

capn
Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

Congrats on them just being vinyl! Mine were the painted blue/brown/ugly variety. Before it was stolen, I was considering having it vinyl wrapped to hide them as repainting would not have been worth it. Now I'm just looking at vans with no stripes, or vinyl. Didn't I recently see a thread here about a van as late as 2004 or 2006 that had the same painted stripes as my 1997?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Didn't I recently see a thread here about a van as late as 2004 or 2006 that had the same painted stripes as my 1997?
I remember that too. It's the only one I have ever seen after "our" era (I tend to notice them as my 1997 was a "striper"). Maybe the original owner had a striper in the 90's and had it custom done for nostalgia or something?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Congrats on them just being vinyl! Mine were the painted blue/brown/ugly variety. Before it was stolen, I was considering having it vinyl wrapped to hide them as repainting would not have been worth it. Now I'm just looking at vans with no stripes, or vinyl. Didn't I recently see a thread here about a van as late as 2004 or 2006 that had the same painted stripes as my 1997?
Hey Greg, Ramsey has just the van you need for sale.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote