Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #1

SumoSprings

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with SumoSprings or heard/have an opinion about them. They are a hard polyurethane device that goes between the axle and the frame. Sort of like a bumpstop but larger. They remind me of some rubber blocks I bought back in the 70's that went between the coil spring coils that was supposed to increase spring strength and to lift your vehicle. It did a little of both, if they stayed in. The SumoSprings are supposed to mitigate the rocking that you get on uneven roads, usually with heavier vehicles.
I have a 2005 e250 Pleasureway van that was converted to 4x4 using f250 parts and it is heavy and will rock back and forth when going over uneven road. Maybe the weight is to much for the f250 suspension. Just wondering if the SumoSprings were a effective option as they are not to expensive and look easy to install.
I know there are better options out there to improve the suspension but they can get rather expensive.
I've included the SumoSprings website below.

https://www.superspringsinternational.com/sumosprings/

B1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Sumo Springs have a number of products, one being the bump stops you mention, I think they call them helper springs?

While I don't know a lot about 4x4 handing issues like you describe I don't think the Sumo's would be an answer to your concerns. I have a set installed but only to act as a combined bump stop and helper spring---I don't normally run "heavy" in that E-250, perhaps once every 6 weeks I'll be 500-1,000 lbs over normal but certainly not every day. I did have an extra leaf spring installed to handle the everyday stuff.

FWIW I used p/n SSR-107-54, bought from SDTruckSprings.com

They were never meant to correct an issue that might require different shocks and/or some actual spring enhancements.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:20 AM   #3

Heavier sway bar maybe?
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Heavier sway bars probably wouldn't help much in this case especially since its 4X4---I'm still going towards enhancing the springs and shocks..

When I was outfitting my 2005 2wd E-350 extended body for at least an additional 2,200# of daily driver weight I did use Hellwig sway bars front and rear along with Bilstein shocks. I did use each manufacturers designated "short wheel base motor home" that were quite considerably heavier duty, their physical size also quite a bit bigger than anything fitting a standard E-350 and below.

It would also be helpful if B1200 could tell us which chassis his RV started life---a cutaway I'm guessing? The current curb weight would also be good to know---those numbers might lend a clue.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

I do have Bilstien shocks but I don't know which model they are as they were on the van when I bought it.

JWA, not sure what you mean about the chassis. It started life as an e250, went to Pleasureway for conversion to motorhome with pop top cutout, (were most of the weightis from I guess), then some time later the previous owner had it converted to 4x4 using mostly f250 parts I think.
The ride is good on the highway but when going offroad, such as on 4x4 type trails, it will rock back and forth a couple times when going over large rocks or very uneven terrain. Just have to be aware and not bash my head against the driver side window, but stuff still flies around in back if not secured.
I thought maybe the SumoSprings might dampen that rocking a bit.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #6

The sumo springs do dampen motions to some extent. I run them in addition to the Hellig rear sway bar.

What is the sway bar setup up front?

I had the same experience pre-axle-upgrade when my sway bar bushings were worn out. Basically all the roll stiffness was at the back axle, so the whole body with get tossed as the rear axle went over and through bumps/holes/curbs etc.

Once I restored some front axle roll-stiffness, not more body lurching, and everything felt balanced again.

Ford used to use through-the-axle bushings that the end of the sway bars poked into. Those are garbage. Sway bars need proper end links. But being a home build I wonder if they even installed a front sway bar?

Basically, try to match your roll stiffness to your weight bias for the best ride. Reducing roll stiffness on the stiff end can also reduce the lurching you describe
Old 10-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Not sure the stiffness rating of the sway bars but just had the bushings checked and they were ok as far as their condition but whether the Ford system of connecting the ends is garbage as you say, I don't know.
Eventually I'll probably upgrade the shocks and springs, after allowing the appropriate amount of time to save up for it. But I usually go fairly slowly over the rough stuff, no offroad racing or jumps for big Betty, (not her real name, she prefers to stay anonymous).
Old 10-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

I added SumoSprings to my Sprinter van. They were an upgrade to the stock rubber device on the Sprinter. They probably reduce hard bottoming out some and may help with the higher loads on my Sportsmobile. In terms of overall benefit to the handling of the van, I would rate them well below the other things I did to my van including better tires, optimal tire pressure the Agile off road custom tuned Fox shocks that I installed. They aren't very expensive though and are easy to self install so I would buy them again. I had planned to upgrade my springs but the van rides so nice with the other things I did that I didn't bother to spend more money on springs.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote