Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

Surface prep for new paint job

I've decided to have my 1995 SMB painted. It is factor "off white/cream" with a big blue and gold painted stripe. I want the stripe gone.

Given its age, I'm going for a cheap paint job ($500) with clearcoat. I don't expect much from these guys so I want to maximize my chance for a decent result by doing some prep work myself.

Too much info on the net to get a good feel for what I can do prior to dropping off.

Any general advice would be appreciated. Just clean it well. Use dawn and a scotch brite pad? Use comet? Sand the stripes off before dropping off? Sand the whole thing? What grit? 320?

Also, I have a choice "deluxe enamel"/"polycrystaline"/or "poly-supreme." Each more expensive than the previous. Although I suspect it may all come from the same can and I wouldn't be able to prove it. Any guidance? Does it help that I a sticking to a flat, factory color?

Thanks. Any advice is good advice.

Merry Christmas

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Surface prep for new paint job

Have you thought of trying it yourself?

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

I think you can help yourself better by removing all the trim, door handles, grill, taillights, headlights, etc. Anything you can do to make it easier for the painter to do the prepwork and to reduce the masking will give you a better paintjob.

If you want to do some sanding, ask the painter what paper to use. He will know what standards he will be working to, we won't know that.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #4

I've thought of doing it myself but I hear it's a royal PITA and takes several days and lots of equipment to do it well. I figure the earl scheib types won't intentionally mess up the actual application of the paint, more likely poor prep.

Did you paint the exterior with rattle cans? Hard to tell what you were covering on the outside. Were you protecting a stripe?

Thanks

tom
Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Team

It does take time but never having attempted to paint a vehicle it was fun learning how. Now if I had some high value new model car I wouldn't think of try this myself but we're both dealing with 10+ year old vans. Elbow grease will be required.
The only equipment I had to buy was $35 for the paint sprayer at Lowe's. The small compressor I borrowed and I already had a good respirator and set of goggles. That was it for equipment.

The paint and clearcoat I got from NAPA:
Intermix MS Quart 56A Oxford White - $32.69
Reducer MS Quart CR232 - $13.49
Overall Clearcoat MS Quart FC720 - $23.49
Medium hardener MS 8-0z FH612 - $10.99
I used (2) of each.

Most of the rattle cans are sandable primer, 13 of them from Advanced Auto - $5.95 ea.
The acetone is for clean up and next time I'll buy it by the gallon.
Some 400 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a boatload of newspapers and wide masking tape.

I bought this van used and the inside was pretty scratched up so I ended up painting most of the interior. Once I got that and the rust taken care of I was running out of good weather. On the exterior I just did the drip edge and the bottom section that has the chip guard.

As you can see from the one picture I'm working into the night to get it done while the weather holds.
Lessons Learned: If you're painting outside, don't work into the night. You be picking the bugs out later. Another tip, A single edged razor blade is really good at getting overspray off your windshield.

If you're careful the results are surprising good. Not just my own opinion. When working on the street other people will be sure to give you their observations.
Lessons Learned: When working on the street with respirator and goggles expect plenty of strange looks from those passing by.

I'll finish the exterior in the spring.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #6

You're a bad influence.....

Thanks for all the good info. The paint job I've got is in great shape. The clearcoat looks garage kept. Being a cheap bastard (and it is a 15 year old van), I'm going to have to try it myself now.

I have a big compressor. What sprayer did you get?

Thanks

Tom
Old 12-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #7

I helped paint a few cars many years ago, and my mentor told me to get an old junk refrigerator and practice on that. I thought it was fun doing all the work and seeing the end results. The last car I helped paint was a metallic blue 1970 Corvette. That was fun. Later I had my first van painted by a cheapo place but I did all the prep work: removing everything I could and sanding paint chips, etc. I did paint the bumpers and wheel flairs myself to save money. It looked good at first but was a maroon color and faded very quickly to chalky barn red. It was cheap paint and it showed very soon.

Brian Rutherford
Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat
I helped paint a few cars many years ago, and my mentor told me to get an old junk refrigerator and practice on that. I thought it was fun doing all the work and seeing the end results. The last car I helped paint was a metallic blue 1970 Corvette. That was fun. Later I had my first van painted by a cheapo place but I did all the prep work: removing everything I could and sanding paint chips, etc. I did paint the bumpers and wheel flairs myself to save money. It looked good at first but was a maroon color and faded very quickly to chalky barn red. It was cheap paint and it showed very soon.

Brian Rutherford
I am definitely going to do the prep myself but am on the fence about the paint. Do you think clearcoat would have made a difference on your paint job? Would it have prevented it from turning chalky?

Thanks

Tom