Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Sway control questions

Have a 2010 EB van (working on our own conversion since we can't quite afford a SM yet) with stock suspension. We love the van but when passing or getting passed by large trucks we are getting blown around, making it uncomfortable. Worse when pulling our boat. When there are no large vehicles near us it tracks very straight and is very stable. Is this just the way these vans drive, or is there a way to improve the situation? I replaced the crap tires Ford put on the van to 10 ply Bridgestone Revo 2's and make sure the tire pressures are good, this seemed to help a little. Would a sway bar, air bags, or anything else help?

ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Re: Sway control questions

You didn't say if your van was an RB or EB, 150, 250 or 350.

Since I don't have similar issues with my EB350, I'm going to guess you have a 150. And that your van has softer springs than my heavy, diesel powered van.

Heavier springs, or stiffer shocks, or anti-sway bars will help. My first choice would be the shocks, since the factory ones weren't that good to begin with. Bilsteins are a good choice.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

Sorry I guess that would have helped. It is an extended body 350 with the V10.

EDIT: I also plan on lifting the van too (Camburg) once I get this issue taken care of.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Before you go spend money, you might call Camburg and discuss this with them. No sense adding something they might have to remove or change.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

I already talked with Jerry at Camburg regarding the rear suspension. One option is to change springs to Deavers like a lot of you are doing, however to keep my initial cost down Camburg is going to just install a 2" block under the rear springs for lift in the rear. He said this will not cause any issues with running an air bag or sway bar. Just wondering if the air bags and sway bar are a good investment or a waste of money to eliminate getting blown around by big trucks.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

If the lift doesn't require a different shock you can go with a better shock before you lift it.
Sway bars are a common addition to add
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3221
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4748
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/

Wheel spacers also help.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4442
Super track is one manufacture and a common set installed by SMB were made by Correct track.

I have air bags but that would be the last item I would install and would rather have a good set of springs.

If you use the terms spacers or sway bar in the search section there are several other posts on the site

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
rnj

I put both Airlift air bags & a Hellwig rear sway bar on my van. I put the air bags on to raise the rear of my van so it wouldn't drag allowing me to go through a deep dip in the parking lot at work instead of driving around through another location.

The rear sway bar was the best investment I've made to my van. It made a HUGE improvement in the the vans handling, I could immediately feel the difference, the van felt more planted to the road, was quieter. (They should be original equipment from, they would probably prevent the church van rollovers that happen). Winds don't blow me around like thay did before although I still have to be aware with the strong sidewinds.

I had already added a steering stabilizer & front Hellwig bolt on sway bar which made a difference but not like the rear sway bar. Mine is a 1995 2x with raised roof.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #8

Yeah, I'm having a problem with the front end wandering on my 1995 Dodge EB 3500 5.9L V8, especially when pulling my Ford Ranger four wheels down. I added a 4-inch receiver riser to get a better towing angle, had the front end checked out for any loose or malfunctioning parts, and am adding a Moog steering stabilizer now. I leave with a tandem-axle U-Haul trailer from South Carolina to South Dakota on Wednesday. Hopefully the wandering will be resolved. I already have Bilstein shocks and air bags.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimrun
Have a 2010 EB van (working on our own conversion since we can't quite afford a SM yet) with stock suspension. We love the van but when passing or getting passed by large trucks we are getting blown around, making it uncomfortable. Worse when pulling our boat. When there are no large vehicles near us it tracks very straight and is very stable. Is this just the way these vans drive, or is there a way to improve the situation? I replaced the crap tires Ford put on the van to 10 ply Bridgestone Revo 2's and make sure the tire pressures are good, this seemed to help a little. Would a sway bar, air bags, or anything else help?
Did you look at the sticker inside the door for the air pressure? Maybe a dumb question but mine calls for 65PSI front and 80psi rear. And is it a 1 ton or 3/4?
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

It's an E350 and I tried the tire pressures what the door sticker says, if I remember it was 65 and 80. It is much better at 80 all the way around.