Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Swing Away BBQ

My 2015 RB hightop will be delivered to SMB West in a few days. It will be a toy hauler that doubles as an "iron tent", tailgater and 3rd vehicle for my wife and I. It will have a sink (cold water only) and a micro/convection oven but no other food storage or preparation equipment. My plan has been to use a trailer hitch BBQ. I do plan to have the propane system installed. I am a little concerned that I do not see this discussed in the various forums. I would much appreciate any comments from others that have used or once used this system.

SpeckTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Re: Swing Away BBQ

You are concerned you have not seen hitch-mounted swing-away barbecue systems on this forum or other(?) forums? Sounds like a cool idea, I'd like to see one.

Many E-series have aluminess rear bumpers that also swing away so having something in the hitch requires a hitch extender. Lots of folks take along barbecues though.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

When I had an SMB, I wanted to plumb in a T off the propane system so I could use my propane grill/lantern/etc. I never got around to doing it before I sold our SMB though. One thing to note is to make sure you aren't double regulating the propane before the appliance. I believe SMB installs a regulator at the tank. Your BBQ might have a regulator at the propane connection. If it does, you wont have enough pressure for the BBQ to work properly. I'm no expert, but just stating something that I've read when I was looking into installing the T.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

Attached Thumbnails
Grill \'N Chill Tailgater.png  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Garage

only thing ive seen on this forum similar to what your asking about is from chris at ujoint. he posted his creation, "the sherpa" and you can check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15387 its a badass setup!

ive also got a buddy designing a setup like your talking about on his jayco popup trailer. designs have changed a few times, but last we talked it is going to be stored on the back on a swingarm. to use it he can fold it down, attach the tank and use in place, or it will have the ability to swing around and use it from the door side of his camper as well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

One thought would be to install a rear bumper box with a slide out for the BBQ. If the box is large enough you can carry the propane tank inside the box. Even if you want a stock bumper I would think you could get something fabricated that could connect to the rear receiver or add a multi point offset receiver for added strength. Then the box then could be set up on a hinge to swing away so the doors can be opened.

A bumper mounted swing away tire holder might also be adapted to a stock bumper to hold a box or BBQ.
Attached Thumbnails
multi pt rec.jpg  
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

One of these? I've thought of it, but there's usually something else on my hitch, and the smoke can get pretty bad in your vehicle. Maybe not a great idea if wives or bears are present. Wives complain, bears come in. I like to have a grill a little way from the van on a picnic table or some such. I am trying to come up with a good way to hang my stove from my side ladder though. Nice to have a stove right outside.

http://www.tailgatingideas.com/freedom- ... uantities/

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

^^^I agree. Myself I'd rather have my BBQ and stove away from the van. But I don't tailgate. I guess it depends on what you want out of your vehicle.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

Sometimes, I stick my little Weber in the jug rack of my Aluminess swingout. It's just barely not under the awning so the smoke doesn't collect under there but I can still cook when it's raining.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1954.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #10

Well, it's not swing-away but if the OP is looking for ideas here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
solaire2.jpg   solaire1.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote