Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #1

Question Swing-away tire rack

Hello

Creating a lists of TODOs for my 2001 Ford E250 SMB model RB50, one item I have been considering is placing a swing-away tire rack that is placed in the rear of the van

The only reason for me is convenience to access the tire if the need arises. So far, in the 11 years of ownership, I have only had to pull out the van's spare from underneath to charge a blowout along the side of a busy freeway.

I have never need to change a tire on back roads with this van (knock on wood). I am not yet certain of the costs, assuming it is not cheap, but would anyone else recommend getting a swing-away tire rack mounted in the rear vs. keeping spare within the undercarriage of the van and lower as needed.

See https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-exterior-options/

Thanks for any and all feedback

Old 08-31-2019, 01:14 AM   #2

The aluminess tire carrier is pretty pricey I'd buying new. Most people get it because of larger tires that dont fit under the van. If you're still on a stock sized tire, I would save the money on a tire carrier or use it on another accessory you might need.

Sometimes they come up for sale used, but they're few and far between and also get snatched up pretty quick.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

I look at a spare tire as a necessary evil, always a PITA until you need it, then it's a lifesaver.

I'm a big fan of keeping a spare far and out of the way, if I can. I built an open car trailer a few years ago, and went so far as to incorporate an undercarriage spare tire mount from a Chevy Astro van during the build. It's out of my way when loading and unloading, out of the sun's rays, but I know it's there, and has a cable and crank lowering mechanism, just like an Econoline.

My 2cents? If you can still fit a tire under there, I'd leave it, go tackle a different project.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

My 2cents? If you can still fit a tire under there, I'd leave it, go tackle a different project.

Agreed.......keep in mind that with a swing out tire carrier you have to unlatch and swing it open every time you want to open the rear doors.

....and the Aluminess product isn't cheap.....

The only reason I went with one is that my 285/70-17 tire/wheel won't fit under the van in the original spare location because my trailer receiver hitch is in the way.....although I'm pretty sure 285 size tires will fit under the van with other brands of trailer hitch.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

Places I take my van, I want two spare tires, not just one.

So the original spare is in the original location. And I had a custom bumper with tire carrier and gas can holder built to hold the other spare tire (which is too big to fit in the original spare location, as others have noted).
Old 09-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #6

Swing-away tire rack

Keep it underneath. But occasionally do maintenance on the OEM spare hoist and tire. Drop the tire, inspect it for dry rot and pressure, address any rust they may be on the steel wheel, etc. Remove the hoist mechanism from the body (I think it’s three bolts) and lubricate the cable and mechanism well so it works easily when you need it (invariably on a dark, rainy night on a busy road).

If you do move it to the rear door, I’d add underfloor storage in the empty space left.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

Garage
I have the Aluminess swing arm tire carrier and really like it.

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-...07-tire-racks/

My reasons for installing it:

- I wanted to make space for an underfloor storage box

- I went to 285’s that wouldn’t fit underneath

- I wanted quicker access to the spare should I need it

- I can hang stuff off it and/or use it as a handhold when climbing into the van

- I like the way it looks

My one fear was that it would be a PITA to open that driver’s side door. Turns out it’s no big deal. Sure, it takes a a few seconds more, especially because I keep mine locked when I’m not with the van, but it’s quick access, nonetheless.

Aluminess’ carrier, though $$$, is exceptionally well-made. I like quality and expect it will last a good, long time.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
Orv

Garage
If you can I'd keep the stock location.

My van has a rear spare tire carrier. If I remember right, normal location on E-vans back then was inside behind the wheel well. We have a closet and gaucho there, and under-floor storage means it couldn't go underneath either. I accept the rear mount as a necessity but it's kind of a pain. It adds to the van's overall length, is another thing to think about while parking, and makes the rear door heavy and balky. (Ours bolts directly to the right rear door.)

A rear tire mount also means any impact forces from a fender bender will be transferred to the van's body and not to the bumper and frame.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Does anyone know if I can fit a 265/75/16 as a spare underneath a 07 E150 where the 225/75/16 spare was? Not sure if its going to be too big...
TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVRSS View Post
Does anyone know if I can fit a 265/75/16 as a spare underneath a 07 E150 where the 225/75/16 spare was? Not sure if its going to be too big...
265 shouldn't be a problem.

Tags
spare tire, tire rack