Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #11

DaveB - Do you (or anyone else) have the filter number(s) for the AMSOIL dual bypass filter system? Also, what viscosity do you run?

I wanted to pick up some filters and oil, however I'm not in my SMB and don't have time to drive back to check.

Thanks.

Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

Garage
These are the ones I've been using for several years now.

Amsoil Oil bypass system: 2 Filters; Amsoil EABP-100, and Donaldson P553411

AMSOIL PREMIUM API CJ-4 SYNTHETIC 15W-40 DIESEL OIL (Amsoil purchase Invoice shows as: 18188931 RI DMEQT-EA Synthetic 15W40 SS Diesel Oil)... Best to also add ARCHOIL or TurboMaxx to combat stiction
Old 07-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

If you ever want to learn far more than you ever wanted about oil, here is the site:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Some years ago I got really interested in different oils and spent many months on this site. Lots of really knowledgeable people contribute.
mikefen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #14

Some oil change shops charge for synthetic, install cheap oil

So this happened to me at two national chains and one regional chain. I paid to have the shops do an oil change with synthetic oil, then asked to see the empty Mobil 1 bottles. In all three thefts it was “Oh, my bad! I thought you said cheap oil.” I think this is an employee scam. They put cheap oil in the customer’s car who is paying for full synthetic. Then they personally pay for cheap oil for their own use, but take the customer’s synthetic oil. The books all balance, and everything is fine except for the longevity of the customer’s engine.
Many of the oil change shops have started selling synthetic oil out of drums now too. If I can’t physically watch a technician crack the seal on a fresh bottle of synthetic and pour it into my engine, I just buy the bottles and change it myself. Paranoid? Not after catching three oil thieves in bait and switch scams. I buy new vehicles and keep them for many years, so maintenance is very important for me.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #15

OurayMark
I agree with you entirely. I've had enough bad experiences with these shops, that I won't ever use one again. I have a trustworthy mechanic and let him do the oil changes and inspect everything while it's on the lift!
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #16

The latest oil changer BS I've seen was my wife's MBZ. Before we met, She religiously brought it in to a local chain, never spared any options they offered, always synthetic. When I took over oil change chores, I found a cheap-ass filter who's paper literally crumbled and fell apart when I touched it. The filter and filter canister cap o-rings were hard and flattened, like they'd never been changed in 40k miles. The oil looked like it had been in there for the same 40k miles, nasty dark black and stinky. who knows if it was synthetic or not, but is was over-worn out oil. I almost didn't believe her until she produced the receipts.

I don't trust the chain oil changers either.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurayMark View Post
So this happened to me at two national chains and one regional chain. I paid to have the shops do an oil change with synthetic oil, then asked to see the empty Mobil 1 bottles. In all three thefts it was “Oh, my bad! I thought you said cheap oil.” I think this is an employee scam. They put cheap oil in the customer’s car who is paying for full synthetic. Then they personally pay for cheap oil for their own use, but take the customer’s synthetic oil. The books all balance, and everything is fine except for the longevity of the customer’s engine.
Many of the oil change shops have started selling synthetic oil out of drums now too. If I can’t physically watch a technician crack the seal on a fresh bottle of synthetic and pour it into my engine, I just buy the bottles and change it myself. Paranoid? Not after catching three oil thieves in bait and switch scams. I buy new vehicles and keep them for many years, so maintenance is very important for me.
WOW, This certainly is something to monitor on the next visit !
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #18

fully synthetic oil to help lower the chances of the egr problems Maybe "lower" is the keyword. I used Amsoil and Rotella synthetic from the first oil change with the dual bypass filters and an EGR service was required at 66K miles. Of course it happened on a trip and had to limp home.
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote