Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

I usually lay on my windshield washer fluid button for a few seconds, if they are following close enough they get splashed and get the message to back off or pass. If that doesn't work I suggest aft missiles, smokescreen or oil slick.

rexracer530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #12

I do nothing. I know guys that will brake check, at best, it's discourteous. At worst, that's just asking for trouble.

I pull over if I'm being a slow poke, when it's safe, or after 5 cars or more are stacked up behind I think is the law in California.

Funny story: I was headed up Hwy 50 from the Bay Area, for a short trip to Travertine Hot Springs on New Year's day. We had a lot of snow on the ground, it's 8pm, lot's of slush on the road so I slow it down. There's an Audi tailgating me, likely a snow skier headed up to Tahoe. He rides my ass for a while, then backs off 25ft for a half mile, then back on my bumper. My rig has new BFG All Terrains, I've got a good 'seat of the pants' feel for slippery, and it was, so now I'm doing 35mph in a 50mph zone, like the cars in front of me. It's snowing, you can't see the lines on the highway.

As we gain elevation, it's getting even more slippery. At a wide spot in the road, on a curve, where it goes from our one lane to two, a passing zone. Mister AWD Audi decides to pass me on the left with the infamous "I'll show you!" move. You know the one, the guy misses clipping my rear bumper by inches as he goes around, tugs on the wheel and misses my front fender by a few feet...

Well it seems that AWD Audi's wide, low profile tires are really up to the task, and the Audi's tail steps out a few inches. The guy was doing a pretty good job at first, driving it with the throttle, tail hanging out. I slow down, in case he doesn't gather it back up. But the hot-dog got a little cocky and the car starts whipping back and forth, each whip taking him closer to the gaurd rail on one side, then closer to the oncoming lane and traffic, the other.

I've slowed to 10mph, have a big-ass cattle guard front bumper and a front row seat. Popcorn anyone?

This clown runs out of grip, talent, and real estate at about the same time as he looses it, into oncoming traffic.

The Audi comes to a complete stop, broadside in the oncoming lane, oncoming headlights baring down on him. I figure I'm going to need my jacket, flashlight, first aid kit, me GF has her cell phone ready

Fortunately, the oncoming cars were also going plenty slow, and managed to avoid contact with the A6.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Jeff likes to drive slow. So he collects a lot of tailgaters. I have less of an issue.
So true, but I almost always do a bit better than the speed limit unless I'm on a hill too steep to pull at that speed. Still, I do remember someone tailgating you on your motorcyce until you brakechecked them. Didn't they run into you? Ya, that's right, you charged them for a new tail light.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
For some reason idiots love to hang out in my blind spot. .
That happens to me all the time, I figure they are checking out the van. They will come up behind, then pace me right in the blind spot. At least if I have to stop suddenly, I dont worry about them rear ending me. The accident I saw today was really bad, the SUV was about two feet shorter than normal, and there were two ambulances. Oddly enough (or not), the truck showed little damage to it's huge cattle guard grill protector.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I do nothing. I know guys that will brake check, at best, it's discourteous. At worst, that's just asking for trouble.
I agree that brake checking someone can be dangerous, but I figure some one driving in a way that risks my safety is much more discourteous than my driving slower than they want. At that point, courtesy has gone out the window. For the most part, I try to pull over, but I've had idiots tailgating me while on a one lane road, and then get to a passing zone and continue to sit on my bumper. At that point, I'll slow to a stop if I have to, just to get them off my ass.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #16

Garage
Tailgaters? I usually just pull up a chair, and ask 'em to pass me a beer and some potato salad.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Tailgaters? I usually just pull up a chair, and ask 'em to pass me a beer and some potato salad.
That right there 👍
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #18

I do nothing as well. I just drive my own drive. That's because I'm always going the flow of traffic NOT in the number 1 lane. So anyone tailgating me is not going anywhere even if I move over a lane. If they want to pass, they can pass on the lane on the left.

If someone wanted to rear end you, they can and will. Not sure why they would want to though.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #19

Really, I can't think of a time I've been tail-gated in the van. But the blind-spot driving makes me crazy, and people do it with the trailer! They'll hang out right next to the trailer for miles, regardless of how slow or fast I go.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
For some reason idiots love to hang out in my blind spot.
That pisses me as much as the rear bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexracer530 View Post
I usually lay on my windshield washer fluid button for a few seconds, if they are following close enough they get splashed and get the message to back off or pass. If that doesn't work I suggest aft missiles, smokescreen or oil slick.
I have often wished I had the money to put sliding retractable doors in the trunk lid of my sedan. The idiot behind me would see the doors open. Out of the trunk slowly rises a little rotating radar dish shaped like the ones on an aircraft carrier. Then in front of the radar unit there slowly rises a sideways pointed miniature missile. The missile begins to rotate toward the tailgater. A little red light flashes faster and faster turning solid as the missile points toward the car. A little display sign lights up saying first Radar Lock then Target Acquired. If the fool hasn't backed off by then the tip pops open and squirts fast drying expanding foamy glue right at their radiator grill.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote