Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Taking a SMB on a round the world trip - is it a good id

You may want to investigate fuel availability where you're going (gas vs. diesel) to help select which engine best suits your requirements.

Herb

Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #12

Kari,

If you're in the area, can't tell as I'm on Tap A Talk, check out my Mountain Rendezvous post. There's a meet up towards the end of Oct and a couple that has traveled the world in their 4x4 Mitsubishi Delica that will be on hand for story telling.

I can almost guarantee you they'll have most the answers for your questions.

Good luck.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

I would argue that most diesel issues are from not driving. Carbon, rust, etc... Which is something you would not encounter if driving often.

If you can get fuel, (and certainly you can get diesel), have access to communications, you can get parts.
I would not hesitate taking a SMB Ford, gas or diesel, anywhere.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
I would argue that most diesel issues are from not driving. Carbon, rust, etc... Which is something you would not encounter if driving often.
Not driving can certainly cause some drivability problems. Unfortunately there are many major failures that can happen to the 6.0 PSD which can leave it dead on the side of the road (or often the middle of an intersection).
Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl

If you can get fuel, (and certainly you can get diesel), have access to communications, you can get parts.
I would not hesitate taking a SMB Ford, gas or diesel, anywhere.

I agree with the first part, however I would absolutely hesitate taking the Ford 6.0L PSD anywhere, let alone around the world.
Nothing against Ford, I'm a big fan of their cars and trucks etc..., it's just that engine was a complete disaster in the automotive/engineering world.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I think if you address the main issues the 6.0 has/had, it might not be as bad as painted. Most of my problems have been sensors. Don't know if there is a cure for that. Most people have turbo issues. I now have almost 90K on mine and no trouble with my turbo yet. The most costly repair on my engine has been the wire harness. EGR was a problem until I started running additive and I did have a problem with the fuel regulator. Still I would have a better feeling driving a 7.3 outside the US

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

I've also had a Cam Position Sensor cause a no start. Getting the part only takes time, changing it is fairly trivial, how do you isolate the failure? There are about 20+ different things that can cause a no start condition and you can't carry all the parts and start swapping them until it starts, can you?

Another no start was caused by an EGR valve, another by a failed injector o-ring. What to do?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #18

I also will do a wourld trip (Africa, North-South Amerika, Russia,Asia and Australia) and exact because of this i purchased a Ford 7.3 SMB 4x4. I had a Landcruiser befor and traveld a lot wit it through Africa. I dao not beleave that it would much harder to get parts for the Ford than for the Landcruiser. All models are different so also most time you can not ītake a part from an african model and use it in an europe on (i am from germany). So also you have to order it. In times internet is everywhere you can order parts and let it ship to the location you are. No problem at all!
I think american vehicles are very simple -lets say more simple- to maintance than europe or japan stuff. So also mechaniks in 3 wourld countries will not have more problems with it than with an Landcruiser.
I sold the Landcruiser because it was to small for such a trip and i trust on the Ford! Its a realy good car
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #19

I would take mine in South America.
Done all Mexico and Central America in another 2wd.
I really like the stealthy look of a van (when the pop-up is down) instead of a truck like camper also and the pass through as an absolute requirement for travel and security. Had to jump and go a few times when I didn't felt safe.

The best part is to know simple things about the repairs or frequent problems and bring a few parts if your mechanically inclined.

I know I would want 4x4 but that is because I go alway's on beaches to surf and would love to explore a lot more remote area. Like the trail we took from Guatemala to Honduras without going to the main road border. Very narrow lots of branches, mud and rocks, small rivers. A big pick up truck with 4x4 was fine put 2wd could'nt. Thought that is was pretty funny that the American army checked all my bags in the middle of the jungle. They told me after to be careful as 2 guy's where murdered earlier this week, yikessss. That was in 1999 so I don't know how it is now.
Didn't have one incident in all our trip from Mexico to Panama.

Go with a 4x4 sportsmobile and see how it works for you.
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #20

How safe do you feel in a "tricked out" van in Mexico? I ask this because my wife keeps talking about driving into South America and I'd like to also, but...I keep thinking that some drug lord type is gonna say "I want that" and then take it. Our vans bring a lot of attention and I'm thinking that some of it could be bad for us.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote