Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

Tax question on taking California delivery for Arizona owners

Hi all,
I'm supposed to pick up my new SMB in Fresno in April, and they tell me that they have to collect CA sales tax (8.25%) if I take delivery there even if it is going directly out of state to an out of state buyer. There is the option for their driver to drive it to the Nevada border for $500 for delivery and I can just pay taxes when I get home. Since I'm going to register it back here in AZ where I live, my question is for any AZ owners out there, preferably in Maricopa County.

I'm having trouble finding the actual tax rate I would owe in AZ, so how much AZ tax was really owed when you registered/titled it? Just state/county or state/county/city? It may be not worth the money for Nevada delivery depending on the answer, most combined rates are pushing 8% or higher anyway when the city rates are added to the the state rate of 5.6% plus 0.7% for Maricopa County.

Also, did anyone try a third party DMV service for registration? How did that go? I'd rather avoid the lines at the DMV if I can.

Thanks!

tfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new van. Another question to ask if you decide to take delivery in Calif is, will get credit in Arizona for the tax paid in California if you go that route. It would suck to pay twice. Some states only require you to pay the difference between the tax rate where you bought it and where you register it. Thats to say if the tax rate is higher when you regester in your home state, you only owe the additional amount over what you already paid, but if you don't get any credit, out of state delivery may make sense. Either way, enjoy your new toy.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaust View Post
Hi all,
I'm supposed to pick up my new SMB in Fresno in April, and they tell me that they have to collect CA sales tax (8.25%) if I take delivery there even if it is going directly out of state to an out of state buyer. There is the option for their driver to drive it to the Nevada border for $500 for delivery and I can just pay taxes when I get home. Since I'm going to register it back here in AZ where I live, my question is for any AZ owners out there, preferably in Maricopa County.

I'm having trouble finding the actual tax rate I would owe in AZ, so how much AZ tax was really owed when you registered/titled it? Just state/county or state/county/city? It may be not worth the money for Nevada delivery depending on the answer, most combined rates are pushing 8% or higher anyway when the city rates are added to the the state rate of 5.6% plus 0.7% for Maricopa County.

Also, did anyone try a third party DMV service for registration? How did that go? I'd rather avoid the lines at the DMV if I can.

Thanks!

According to one web site a total of 8.70% combined for Maricopa county. Not sure if that is accurate for your situation.
Yes 3rd party is the way to go, I highly recommend it. If fact Ive had good luck just getting simple information from them as well before purchase have been made. I would give one a call and just ask them about what you are doing, they were great help for me but I was buying used from a private party from California.
Tracey
Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll call one of these third party providers and see what insight they offer.
tfaust is offline   Reply With Quote