Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Temperature Monitoring in Van

Hello!

Does anyone currently monitor the temperature in their van while away from the vehicle? I'm specifically concerned about our two small dogs that we may leave in the van no more than 2 hours. I want to keep track of the temperature via phone while in a restaurant, house, etc. All I've found are high dollar subscription services. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Please no lectures on having pets in a van for 2 hours. We do have a roof AC/heat unit and we're doing research before we'll ever leave them, if we do at all. If we can't find a good monitoring solution, we won't leave the pets in the van.

Artvandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

I would contact your local car stereo shop that offer aftermarket alarms. There are some aftermarket alarms (Viper?) that offer temp monitoring and even auto start when it reaches a certain temp so the ac can run. I briefly looked into this earlier this year and a local car stereo shop was able to do it but I ended up not needing it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Well, if you want to keep track remotely, you have to have a service fee, as the thermometer needs a connection to the internet one way or the other.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

Baby monitor?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Bluetooth works but is limited to about 100 feet unobstructed. Like Robb said, you probably have to fork out the money for some type of cell link.

https://www.monnit.com/Products/Gate...ys-for-Verizon

If you can be in range of about 100 feet (yeah not far) there are several Bluetooth data loggers to look at. I have Kestrel loggers like a lot of cattle people use around here. It's unreal how hot my van gets in summer when parked and it's hot outside. You can develop a guide by comparing outside temps to inside temp vs time by watching data loggers. Just a thought.

They make systems where you can start your vehicle from a cell phone but a running engine might be an open invitation for thieves to take a look. Another product called Chilly Dog is another choice. Don't know if its still around:
http://k9safety.com/index_files/PagerA7Manual.pdf

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
Spr

I have a computer system with the drone plug in. Its about 100 per year but monitors the temperature, sends alerts to your phone if the alarm goes off, and has a gps tracker. I wouldn't rely on the temperature auto start feature but you can manually moniter the temp and start the car from anywhere in the world as long as you have wifi or cell signal on both ends. viper has a very similar set up for the same yearly fee. Overall I am very pleased with it.
Spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Look into Hot N Pop Pro by AceK9.Com.
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

I wasn't kidding about the baby monitor. Ours (for babies) has a temperature monitor. And if you're really just talking about parking in a driveway, or outside a restaurant, while you're inside, the range might work. Our sender is in the far corner of our house, and I can be in the driveway with the monitor and within range.

We didn't shop for maximum range, but I'd guess that some are better than others.

Also, if your van has a rooftop vent/fan (ours is a Fantastic Fan) it's amazing how cool it stays in the van with the shades drawn and the fan on.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage
10 bucks a month and you get a GPS tracker as well as temp monitoring:
https://www.linkakc.com/dog-collar?g...FQQxaQod7uwNYQ

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
10 bucks a month and you get a GPS tracker as well as temp monitoring:
https://www.linkakc.com/dog-collar?g...FQQxaQod7uwNYQ
I wonder if one of these would fit my daughter?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote