Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I don't agree that its "chicken shit" to post up about how bummed he is about getting his van after spending $10k and the fit and finish isn't great. He didn't say anything negative about SMB or threaten to take legal action, etc., he's just stating his feelings about how it doesn't fit good which is pretty clear.

I haven't had any first hand experience with SMB, but I've read and seen some videos where people point out issues and they take it back to have SMB fix them, at no additional cost. Might want to take it higher up the chain if possible to try to get it fixed.
Sorry, it’s still chicken shit if the first people to hear of the problem (on the first post ever), are the folks on this forum.

Posting on product quality control speaks volumes of a company and can really effect their business. If that is not speaking “negatively about SMB”, than you’re not interested in being honest.

But apparently that was not the case here, as the OP stated SMB told him it was normal. In this case, going public for “opinions” is fair and he should have mentioned that in his first “ever” post.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

i think it is still valuable info to know of issues. hopefully the OP contacts SMBW and they fix the issue and he posts about being taken care of.

i would like to know if there are QC issues, and if they get resolved.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #13

Was the bedliner paint on the roof before hand, or is that something that SMB is doing now? How thick is it, and would it affect the way the top sits? Also, does the top actually sit down/bear on the roof, or is it kind of floating? I know you've got experience with the tops, but is it possible it could be bottoming on the helper springs? Perhaps the electric top doesn't have helper springs. I agree something doesn't look right. I surely wouldn't want to try to put the advertised 10 people on a top that wasn't bearing in the gutters.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #14

I don’t understand why you’d double down on rudeness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Sorry, it’s still chicken shit..... In this case, going public for “opinions” is fair and he should have mentioned that in his first “ever” post.
Gar
“Would like some outside opinions.... How would you feel getting your van back like this?.....And how about the upholstery/trim job? Opinions appreciated.”

So what, are you saying....that the OP edited his first post and then added this language? If he didn’t, and this was the original post, it sure seems clear to me that he’s just asking for others’ opinions here, as to whether—as a person new to SMB builds—he’s being unreasonable in his expectations or not.

Isn’t asking for and getting that kind of feedback what this Forum is also about?

In any event, as a long time Forum member I’m embarrassed to see the rude, unwelcoming language you chose to use to a brand new member. I’d really have hoped that, once you “slept” on your comment and revisited it after cooling off, that you realize it was unnecessarily harsh. Instead you just doubled down on it.

Too much commentary following online news and opinion articles these days devolves so quickly into abusive responses....let’s try to do better than that here.
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #15

OP, I had a 95 SMB pop top I bought in about 2010 or so, so 15 years old when I got it. It had this issue on one side occasionally. I added a box, rack and solar which helped push it down but I was never satisfied with it either. Being old when I got it and me living nowhere near an SMB location I just removed the trim and checked everything (springs, blocks, etc.) Occasionally I could wiggle it as it came down and get everything to fall into place perfectly. You should NOT have to deal with this on a new product, especially a $10k one. It should've never passed quality control, if there is such a thing, at SMB.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Usually it's a good idea to see some kind of introduction for the first post but this forum is kind of a think tank as far as Sportsmobiles go. There are a lot of SMB owners who are lurkers and this forum is the logical place to get answers. IMO the way the OP put it together with proper pictures was OK. If it was more of a rant, well that might be a different story.
Just remember that one of the main rules on this forum is to be nice to each other. Keep it civil.

@Sunnyday, I'd like to hear what SMB does for you. Please post back what happens. I've got some of the best service with SMB compared to other companies I've dealt with. Give them a chance and maybe mention that several members on the forum think it needs to go back to the shop for some tweaking.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #17

My top fit great, but yeah, some less than desirable interior stuff and wiring, but I knew that going in. Guess I was lucky.

Take it back and make them fit it right or put a new one on. No way that should be going down the highway.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #18

Garage
with the money spent and the end result, i would not be a satisfied customer. plain and simple.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail View Post
“Would like some outside opinions.... How would you feel getting your van back like this?.....And how about the upholstery/trim job? Opinions appreciated.”

So what, are you saying....that the OP edited his first post and then added this language? If he didn’t, and this was the original post, it sure seems clear to me that he’s just asking for others’ opinions here, as to whether—as a person new to SMB builds—he’s being unreasonable in his expectations or not.

Isn’t asking for and getting that kind of feedback what this Forum is also about?

In any event, as a long time Forum member I’m embarrassed to see the rude, unwelcoming language you chose to use to a brand new member. I’d really have hoped that, once you “slept” on your comment and revisited it after cooling off, that you realize it was unnecessarily harsh. Instead you just doubled down on it.

Too much commentary following online news and opinion articles these days devolves so quickly into abusive responses....let’s try to do better than that here.
The original poster stated in a follow up post that he talked to SMB prior to posting here and was told the imperfections were normal. -That was the part I was referring to in my “doubling down on rudeness post”, when I said "he should have mentioned that SMB said it was normal in his first post."

Many here earn a living building American made products for others. If something is not right, it’s a common curtesy to first bring it up with the builder, and not post a bunch of pictures asking for opinions in an open forum. The OP likely already had a good idea it was not right, or he would not have asked us for our opinions. My response was not meant to be gentle.

Thank you for your opinion, I’ll continue to keep my comments civil.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
... Being old when I got it and me living nowhere near an SMB location I just removed the trim and checked everything ....
Come on Eric, you're not that old yet.

Tags
bad fit top