Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Safari Condo in Quebec makes a very nice product from what I’ve seen. I recently checked with them they have three.

Yes I called to confirm. They do not do Frogs, I mean Fords.

Brian which style and manufacturer do you have and can we get inside pics?

I have a Sportsmobile Penthouse top. I’ve just seen Safari Condos in campgrounds here and there. Mostly US East Coast and Canada.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #42

***Update***

***Update*** First off, if you're reading this post because you're thinking of having a top put on your van and doing some research let me tell you DON'T GO TO THESE GUYS!
Went in to Sportsmobile West today to have the issues addressed from the post below. After trimming the bottom profile of the top and attempting to make the best of a product that clearly doesn't fit well, and shouldn't have been used, the tech pulls around front to send me on my way down the highway. There's two rivets in the back used to secure the bottom trim piece to the top. One of them is missing and the guys tools are still on the top of the van. Also, only two of the three latches are latched. He pulls it back in and puts the rivet in. I head down the road and while at the gas station realize there's a head showing on the other rivet, but it's broken off and the trim piece is loose. Took it back to have the second rivet put back in. This on top of waiting an extra hour and a half in the waiting room, as they forgot I was there. Pretty hard to believe just how bad these guys are. An absolute joke. I related my whole experience to the head of the installation dept, who is a nice guy, but when you pay for a product and service before it's installed they already have your money and it's pretty much up to them what kind of product and service they'd like to install/offer. If I was to do it over again I'd go to one of the few other companies offering something similar, or just stick with the normal top. Maybe they do better work on the $120,000 full builds, but the top only installation most definitely has a "turn 'em and burn 'em" feel to it.
Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #43

Garage
VERY unfortunate that this is the end result - I feel your pain. That kind of experience certainly leaves a bad after-taste...that lingers. Continue with your projects & enjoy the accompanied experiences as intended.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #44

I agree. That sucks. It’s not the way it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #45
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nope, almost looks like they used a top that had been trimmed poorly and was kept around only if they didn’t have any other options or in your case, to drop it on a top only job. I’d get them to install a whole new top, there’s no repairing that one or “making it right” with “adjustments”.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #46

It was explained to me that the company they get the tops from damaged their Ford RB mold when moving into a new factory. SMB is and was aware they now get defective tops for this model and have been trying to discontinue the Ford E series tops, but "the demand is just too high". I'm standing there dumbfounded as this is explained to me, as if it's not their fault. Why does this translate to the customer being stuck with a very expensive defective product? Terrible company all around.
Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #47
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
That is quite unfortunate, and a bit shocking to hear that they not only were previously aware of the issue but still took your money, went ahead with the install and then pretended to try and fix it when you brought the issue to their attention?!?
I’m not a litigious kind of guy, but if they don’t make this right somehow, perhaps purchasing a top and bringing it in from another location, I’d say you’ve got a case on your hands, might be good to put them on notice to see what they do.
In any event, buyers beware! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I hope they don’t try to pull this shit with anyone else’s hard earned cash(or otherwise.....

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I think the main takeaway (on anything) but in particular with these two instances of sub-par work from both SMB and CCV is.. don't leave with your van if it's not done correctly.

It's a pain, but you're much better off getting a motel for a few days or flying home and coming back in a week or two than having to either go back, or try and have them compensate you for doing the work on your own.

Essentially, once you've paid the vendor for a half assed job, and they don't have your van anymore, you have a lot less leverage.
I don't post here much, but THIS. I made this mistake with a van from another vendor (not SMB) once.

Once.
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #49
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
It was explained to me that the company they get the tops from damaged their Ford RB mold when moving into a new factory. SMB is and was aware they now get defective tops for this model and have been trying to discontinue the Ford E series tops, but "the demand is just too high". I'm standing there dumbfounded as this is explained to me, as if it's not their fault. Why does this translate to the customer being stuck with a very expensive defective product? Terrible company all around.
Time to file a complaint.
https://oag.ca.gov/consumers
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started

And if that does not get your issues resolved to your satisfaction, seek legal counsel.
https://sanfordheisler.com/consumer-fraud-lawyers/

SMB West needs to be put on notice that “being nice” Vs “doing the job paid for”, is not going to be tolerated. Often times a simple letter from a lawfirm is all it takes to get a company rolling in the customer satisfaction direction.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #50

As I have stated before I do not like SMB. Just the mere arrogance displayed in his video of his product. It is one thing to be proud of your company and another to be cocky as if no one else can match their product!! Well the chickens have come home to roost (been a few already). This is where they get you!
You live 16 hours away, they know that, they have their new production going on while trying to make a quick buck on the outside top installs, so one will loose oversight. Trying to capitalize on the recent popularity of the market but not bringing up production or employment to meet these demands. EQUALS BAD service especially from a cocky manager! I am glad I am doing my own, I always end up doing my own because of nightmares like this. In the end all the corrective service will be futile because of your loss time and patience. Just like Colorado camper did and then ventured into it I may follow but only one van at a time! I have three new Fiberine tops already and buying all the laying around ones I can find!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad fit top