Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #21

Re: Terrible Smell - Dead Animal? - Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone

When I get a SMB I've decided to add "NITE GUARD tm" under the van. Available thru http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com and reputed to repel all mammals... might hang one inside to repel unwelcome humans if they scare off bad elements. Take a look at them.
So, the theory on this is that critters don't like flashing red lights. It would seem like you'd have to install a bunch to get the light shining in each curve and cranny. Is that correct?

I agree with the statement about the electrical deterrents. Useless. Tried the ultrasonic deterrent. Mice were unperturbed but it drove our dog nuts.

Comments re underbelly workmanship are helpful for us newbies. So, what exactly do we need to specify to SMB to get them to critter proof the rig?

Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone

Comments re underbelly workmanship are helpful for us newbies. So, what exactly do we need to specify to SMB to get them to critter proof the rig?
I dont' think you can 100%. In my case, they got far, those little chicky chipmunks.
They made it to the inner wall, and then proceeded to dig past the carpet and enter the battery, underneath the gaucho area. Then they proceeded to find a way out of that. I woke up that morning camped North of Owens Lake to the sounds of something scurrying withing the inner cavities past the wallboard, looked down from the penthouse bed looking at the chipmunk who broke in.. it's like they tell their buddies and they did it too, and one got left behind..

Best advice is to somehow make it difficult for them to reach all the way, epoxy filler, mesh, re-enforced wallboard, etc..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #23

My "scheme" on the "NITE GUARD tm" is to use it when the vehicle is parked and put in on the ground under the van to prevent approaching rodents... not many ways to repel them once they get off the ground. I think this would be especially useful if the vehicle sits in one place for extended time. It generates no sound, but apparently the red lite on all 4 sides spooks mammals and it has it's own solar charger so could prolly be hardwired to 12v system. I have read comments thru a magazine I take that say it works really well. $30 trumps that rotten odor if it only works once. 'Course how would you ever know you don't have mice just because of the device? :={)}

I don't have one currently 'cause my "BIG FAT DOG tm" sleeps under the Yukon day and night and I'm assuming rodents are repelled by her. Some day I'll tell y'all a funny story about that.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #24

Smells like BS. Keeping in mind that I got burned on the sonic, I don't see anything about red light and mice, mice aren't mentioned on the mfg website, and I can't find anything independent that say's "This works!"

Strobes are one thing, but a light clicking on is something mice should get used to and ignore. Normal mice can't even distinguish red as a color. Heck they've learned to run across our light fixtures while we're watching TV underneath. Yarg.

Anyway, most things refer back to the manufacturers claims, and I found one site selling that had no other products (fishy). I'm thinking this is like the sonics, preying on people's fear and the fact that it's really hard to prove it's working vs. not.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #25

Jage, You gotta point... something that deterred mice would be among the most widely used and profitable consumer products in history. Guess I'll be keeping my $30 to buy traps et al. Thanks for another eye-opener from Sportsmobile Forum :={)}
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #26

Jage, doesn't Scribbles keep the mice away?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #27

She has brought more into the house (2) than killed (1)... so no, she's ineffectual as a mouser.

Ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XAIP2

And this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XJQ2G8

Will report on effectiveness. I'm hoping the flashlight can dual purpose as a gem hunter for camping fun.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #28

I found a dead animal inside the wall of our metal building once. Look for green bottle flies. They eat dead things. Saw one go under the baseboard, tore out that section of wall and found a slimy dead raccoon or possum. Hard to tell. Solved a 2 week mystery. Very gross.
Good luck
Bigduke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #29

YUCK. YUCK .. I hate rodents. did I say YUCK...

This thread brought back some terrible memories of having to tear my bathroom out 5 years ago. Old rats nest from the 80's under the bathtub. There were shredded shopping bags in the nest from a local market that closed in 1985. Yes they will catch an old scent and follow it, make themselves at home in a nest left by ancestors. YUCK !!!
I have heard of rats moving into exhaust pipes of sitting vehicles. It's going to be a ton of work but it sounds like you need to remove the walls and floor. I bet its between the wood floor and the sheet metal, or dead stuck to the insulation in the wall.. I do know that eventually it will go away. There are 1 1/2" plastic plugs all along the bottom of the body, a quick nibble and they are in the van wall check those plugs and make sure they aren't missing or chewed through.

Whatever you do DO NOT USE GREEN RAT POISON. They eat it and then go home and die in your walls. The glue traps are good but you have to kill the SOBs when they wake you in the middle of the night screaming because they are stuck.. just ask.. O ya.. squash.

It's too bad SMB doesn't spend more time doing things right. Quality control is gone.

Good luck with your search I'll be looking forward to the resolution.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #30

Glue traps are about the cruelest thing going, as indicated by the animal's screams in the middle of the night. But I agree with you about green poison, not only did I find several cans of it from the last owners of the house, both full and empty, but a number of carcasses (including a full nest in one wall) that didn't make it outside.