Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

Greetings,

Thank you:

bitburger
EMrider-R
sdwindandsea
Oni-Mark

All of you are obviously not lost and your suggestions are very useful!
What a great forum!
Feedback from users is way better than any companies "selling pitch."

Thanks,

Zugg

Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #12

One more GPS comment

We have a Garmin c550 and really like it. It's not perfect, but good enough to be truly useful. This one has the bluetooth phone feature which is handy since, legally, a hands free connection will be required while driving. Speaking the street names is really helpful. I have used a TomTom that does not speak the street names, and it was a little unclear what to do when the streets were close together.

However, I would definitely go for the smaller form factor of the Nuvi series. I found myself taking the GPS traveling and its a bit inconvenient to pack a baseball size GPS.

Hope this helps.

Dave
dkrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #13

I went a different route. I have an HTC TyTN (windows mobile OS, which sucks by the way) phone. It's the same as the AT&T 8525. Relatively large screen. Then, by using a bluetooth GPS and a GPS program, it's in my phone. The never version of this phone has the GPS inside of it, so there's nothing extra to carry! Very sweet for a traveler on airlines; I still have to pack my BT GPS module, although it's small.

One very important feature not to be missed is only available on TomTom GPSs: Celebrity voices. There' NOTHING like having Mr. T give you directions..."Turn right up here, or I'll bust you in the face, fool." I kid you not.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Sam

Zugg:

I have an Eclipse AVN5510 in my van. At the time, I decided to go with an in dash GPS because it gave me GPS, would navigate to a lat/long position which was important to me & other features that I thought I would want/be able to add to it. The unit has a backup camera & until I added an amp to it, I had a Parrot Bluetooth hands free phone system. It came down to the amp or Parrot system & the amp won out. The Parrot system burned up. You can add satellite radio & an iPod to it as well. An all in one unit. Pros & cons to that as well.

Overall, I'm not real impressed with the system. The biggest problem is at night, the unit only dims so far with the dimer switch & then goes to full bright. If you have the iPod or radio station screen on, they are too bright for night travel. The map mode is find. Another thing that the built in units do is lock out features so you won't get distracted while driving. I have a limited amount on iPod albums that I can select while driving. I personally don't think that the unit is really that user friendly. Others that have one might disagree.

Kenwood just came out with the Excelon DNX8120. That unit have peaked my interested but not enough to purchase it yet. It has lots of features & uses Garmin navigation.

I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 760. I haven't had it that long but tend to like it better than the built in unit but it has more features than I know what to do with.

This gives you some more information.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #15

Hi,

Thanks dkrahl, kzemach, and Sam.
Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Sam, I will most likely get a portable Garmin unit.

Dave, thanks, I will be looking at the smaller Nuvi portable units.

kzemach, is it possible to have Tatoo (from Fantasy Island) give GPS instructions?
I bet Mr. T has not mislead you!

Thanks,

Zugg

Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Oni

Zugg

I just picked up a Nuvi 250W from a rewards program at work. It is an inexpensive, entry level GPS, preloaded with maps of the US. It does not have bluetooth, or text to voice...but will tell you to "turn right in 1/4 mile" just won't say street names.

I like it so far. Screen is very easy to see...kind of a mat non glare finish. It has 2D and 3D map settings...I prefer the 2D, you can see more streets around you.

If you have never used a GPS before, it may be a good choice. Plug and play and easy to set up. If you decide you want more features...it is easy to move to another vehicle. Once you have GPS in a vehicle...it will be hard to drive around without one.

Mark
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #17

Has anyone used the Garmin StreetPilot 7200? It has turn by turn directions, and when you hit the boonies you can insert an SD card and then you have topos.
Large 7" touchscreen (6.10"x3.43") in a 7.3"W x 4.5"H x 2.2"D box. Large unit, but the big screen sure sounds great.
Thots???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #18

Gps

I have a Magellan Maestro 3250 which I like a lot. It offers AAA info which has been useful for restaurants etc.
rob277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #19

Just throwing this out there. Lots of off-road folks are running Lowrance GPSs in their buggies, bajas, etc. Big units, but can take a beating. for example.....http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automo ... Baja-540C/
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #20

Just got a Lowrance XOG. Nice 3.5 touch screen display. Haven't used it much yet. Mounted it on the top of the dog house next to the coin thingy. No windshield glare and it picks up Sat signals fine and I can see it with my bifocal sun glasses without tipping my head back. It wants to tell me where to sleep and buy coffee but it doesn't seem to consider my van a "point if interest"! The test will be how well the SD card down loads topo maps and how well it displays back roads. I got it because it also is capable of showing inland lakes so I can use it in my boat as well. West Marine around $300.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote